Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Those Rare English Summer Days

Default Those Rare English Summer Days

It was sunny and the light was nice so I thought I'd take my 7D out in the garden and just capture what I could with the little bit of green I have available.

Nothing fancy here, all handheld. Except I used a skateboard a couple times

Hope you enjoy

Last edited by Marc Peters; 11-18-2010 at 06:45 PM.

other than a wobbly shot at 1.44ish I thought it was fab. seems you set out to do what you intended, job well done.

now, tell me your work flow in my 7D thread!

3. Default

Some nice images there.

I notice a bit of breathing when you shifted focus, were you using a zoom lens or fixed focal length lenses?

Whatever, holding a DSLR steady and shifting focus isn't easy compared to holding a camcorder so kudos to you for doing so well.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    other than a wobbly shot at 1.44ish I thought it was fab. seems you set out to do what you intended, job well done.

now, tell me your work flow in my 7D thread!
    Thanks! Sure I'll head over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    Some nice images there.

I notice a bit of breathing when you shifted focus, were you using a zoom lens or fixed focal length lenses?

Whatever, holding a DSLR steady and shifting focus isn't easy compared to holding a camcorder so kudos to you for doing so well.
    I shot using my 28-135 IS, it has a pretty dodjy focus ring so smooth focus pulling is pretty hit and miss unfortunately. I'm just waiting for the 24-70L IS to come out!

I like this video! It reminds me of a better version of one of the first videos I ever made under similar circumstances earlier this year.

I have a Panasonic HMC41E camcorder, and just wandered out into the garden to see what I could see.

I didn't hold each clip long enough though, and there was a bit of unwanted camera movement in places, but as you have proved it's amazing what you can see outside your back door!

It also never ceases to amaze me that DSLR's can produce such stunning video! Good job mate.
    Last edited by MikeTV; 09-04-2010 at 11:03 AM.

Very nice images along with relaxing music. I liked it. I especially liked the skateboard dolly shots I think you did well to make them so smooth. The focus pulls looked nice as well.

Blog Entries

Very watchable. This shows how important the choice of music is - the suspense kept my interest up throughout the extended (musical) intro.
    Very, very steady handheld work, however lingering and beautifully clear shots like this just emphasise even the tiniest movement - you just can't win!
    Tim

Thanks guys

Ha yup DSLR + Handheld isn't usually a good combination, although I quite like the wobbly look in this instance, makes me feel like the camera is the eyes of an insect or something.
    Maybe I'm looking for excuses!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Very watchable. This shows how important the choice of music is - the suspense kept my interest up throughout the extended (musical) intro.
    I really believe this, Tim, which makes me wonder if my beginner juvenile videos are nice only because of the music ... I suppose that the test is to watch the images on mute, and if they still look nice then you're on to a winner?
    Last edited by MikeTV; 09-04-2010 at 10:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    I really believe this, Tim, which makes me wonder if my beginner juvenile videos are nice only because of the music ... I suppose that the test is to watch the images on mute, and if they still look nice then you're on to a winner?
    That is certainly one test. One which I've rarely had the courage to take with my own offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    I would really appreciate your suggestions for improvement.
    I'd be glad to, Mike, but not in this thread. We like to observe the one video per thread rule otherwise confusion reigns.

But please note, my opinions are simply that. They carry no great weight, I'm merely an amateur trying to pick up and spread tips as I stumble along - as any of my films will prove beyond doubt.
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast