Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Canon 7D issue

Default Canon 7D issue

So I have made the jump to tapeless recording and DSLRness.

However I have come across a significant problem and cant decide wether or not its me not being very adaptive with the new kit or that the camera is faulty.

Basically I am experiences lines throughout my footage whenever there is significant movement.
    Initially I thought that the card I was borrowing was too slow, the camera did as well suggest this with its warning markers flash in away on my screen. So I picked up a new flash card at 400x (reports tell me that 150x should be adequate so I figured 400 would be more than enough to deal with HD) but I still have the same problem but without flashy warnings to tell me its the card at fault.

So, to anyone in the know... is this my card? have I been cursed with a faulty chip or am I just being a little bit slow and setting something up wrong.

Here is an example, its not really up for criticism since the whole thing is compressed quickly for web in order to demonstrate the concept to artist and present my problem to you and generally needs to be reshot anyway.
    The most noticeable is within any hand movement (first one about 10seconds in)

password is robot

I can't see any problem at all 10 seconds in or anywhere else ... I wish I could upload my video to look that good!

3. Default

I see what you mean.

I suspect that it's a problem caused by frame rates.

Could it be that you've shot at 30fps or 24fps and, during the editing, have converted to 25fps (or any variation thereof)?

its so slight but is glaringly obvious to me and I have it on a bunch of footage shot since for clients which I am certain they are going to notice., its driving me crazy!

As the hand winds up the robot, the main surface area of the hand that coomes into shot briefly (bottom of my thumb connecting to wrist) has a couple of horizontal blocky lines appear as if not all of the information has been captured properly.
    more like 12 seconds, sorry.

(thanks for the compliment mike! )

Blog Entries

I'm useless with these techy things, but is it a case of Rolling Shutter? rolling shutter 7d - Google Search

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    I see what you mean.

I suspect that it's a problem caused by frame rates.

Could it be that you've shot at 30fps or 24fps and, during the editing, have converted to 25fps (or any variation thereof)?
    aha! good idea! I'll check on that, Thanks!

7. Default

In my experience (sounds good doesn't it, in fact it means that I played with a DSLR once) the rolling shutter effect just gives moving objects a slant, it doesn't cut them off as brutally as in this footage which is why I think that the pull-down conversion is at fault.

But I may be wrong... I often am!

Ok, this is worrying me now! I have replayed the 12s hand coming in over and over and can't see an issue! I have even played it full screen and still can't see anything wrong.

Could it be that certain types of screen pick up this fault, and others don't?

If not, then my attention to detail is clearly horrendous!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    In my experience (sounds good doesn't it, in fact it means that I played with a DSLR once) the rolling shutter effect just gives moving objects a slant, it doesn't cut them off as brutally as in this footage which is why I think that the pull-down conversion is at fault.
    To be honest, I was plucking terms out of the air without thinking Shame on me...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    To be honest, I was plucking terms out of the air without thinking ...
    Good man! We'll make a pro out of you yet.

(Or at least get you to bullshit well enough that you can pretend to be an expert, this is the internet after all.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast