Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegas Pro 9.0-- can't render (system low on memory), constant crashing

1. Default Vegas Pro 9.0-- can't render (system low on memory), constant crashing

I run Vegas Pro 9 on a laptop with 1 TB of storage space and 8 GB of RAM. I assumed that since 8 GB is a large amount of memory for a laptop (or any computer really), I'd be able to use Vegas smoothly, quickly, efficiently and without a hitch.

I had used all but about 2 GB of storage space on my two internal hard drives (500 GB each), and at that point, coincidentally or not, I started to have problems with Vegas. When the file size of the .veg file exceeded around 300 KB or so, the program would crash every time I tried to open that file (or any 300+ KB file). I also couldn't render, as I would get the error that states:

An error occurred while creating the media file [name of video].

The system is low on memory. You may be able to reduce memory usage by closing other applications.

So like I said, it was recommended to me that I free up more disk space than 2 GB, and then perform a defrag, and that should greatly improve my computer's performance, and thus improve Vegas' performance.

I bought an external hard drive for this purpose and just last night cleared away 316 GB of disk space on the hard drive that contains my OS (which is Windows Vista), then performed a defrag and restarted my computer.
    When I booted up Vegas after doing all of this, I still had both of these problems, and they're irritating to say the least.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest? Or have I damaged my computer irreparably by leaving it with such little free disk space for so long (and leaving it on almost 24/7)?

Also, Vegas isn't crashing because of a corrupt file or anything like that. I have two projects that I want to combine into one, and both can open and function individually, but when I put them together (and the .veg file is about 311 KB), Vegas crashes every time.

1] The size of your Vegas Project is not the guiding force here. What IS, is the Media with which Vegas is having to deal with.

2] If you are running 32-bit then VEgas will only access the first 3GB of ram. If you are running a 64-bit pc AND a 64-bit version of VEgas then you can access more.

3] Are you nesting VEGs into ONE veg? If so then again thee s a call-out overhead that your laptop is having to contend with.

4] Do an audit f the media you are sending through Vegas. TIFF files are hogs for Vegas. Are you using pure HD files?

Bottom line here is that you need to be savvy to the needs of ANY NLE, Vegas places more demands on a smoothly running, slim 'n trim System disc. If Vegas needs to thrash about getting files to work, then the first thing that will make the pips squeak will be your operating system cranking over time and time again.

And again, you need to see what you are running within Vegas: Many Fxs? Whole Tack FX-ing? Overly CPU intensive FXs?

I'd start again with simple, project set correctly Veg and work upwards. Somewhere, somehow you are placing a great loading on Vegas.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    3] Are you nesting VEGs into ONE veg? If so then again thee s a call-out overhead that your laptop is having to contend with.
    I'm sorry, I don't quite know what you mean by that. Could you rephrase the question?

4] Do an audit f the media you are sending through Vegas. TIFF files are hogs for Vegas.
    Isn't TIFF an image file? How would that affect Vegas? Also, what do you mean by "do an audit" of my media?

Are you using pure HD files?
    I'm using some HD, but not much. I'd say less than a quarter of the video files involved are HD.

Bottom line here is that you need to be savvy to the needs of ANY NLE, Vegas places more demands on a smoothly running, slim 'n trim System disc. If Vegas needs to thrash about getting files to work, then the first thing that will make the pips squeak will be your operating system cranking over time and time again.
    So what do I do about that?

And again, you need to see what you are running within Vegas: Many Fxs? Whole Tack FX-ing? Overly CPU intensive FXs?
    I use very few FX-- some flash transitions, maybe a desturation here and there. Nothing much at all.

I'd start again with simple, project set correctly Veg and work upwards. Somewhere, somehow you are placing a great loading on Vegas.
    What do you mean by "project set correctly Veg"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray AP19 View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't quite know what you mean by that. Could you rephrase the question?
    - Well, you've answered my question. Now we CAN just drag a VEG file into another Vegas Project. Vegas now treats VEG files as just another piece of Media. In doing this Vegas executes a process to produce a proxy file - which needs space - and then presents this into your main project. But as you asking what "nesting" is, it would appear you haven't done that? Have you?

Isn't TIFF an image file? How would that affect Vegas? Also, what do you mean by "do an audit" of my media?
    Correct, TIFFs are image or Graphics files - correct. Vegas doesn't play well with them. But again, as you are asking it would appear you don't have any within this project. Moving on . . .

I'm using some HD, but not much. I'd say less than a quarter of the video files involved are HD.
    Try removing the HD and see if you get a better results. If this is the case then you need to stipulate just would form of HD you are using. For example AVCHD, which I have used, is really quite lumpy for Vegas to edit and needs another approach. Native MXF files are ok. Again saying HD doesn't quite identify just what your issues could be - more info needed here?

I use very few FX-- some flash transitions, maybe a desturation here and there. Nothing much at all.
    Well, are they on the EVENT or are they applied at Track Level?

What do you mean by "project set correctly Veg"?
    To expand on this I would say that I would set my project up to more correctly, accurately reflect the media I have on the timeline.

So, I firstly make sure my Project:

File | Properties | Project Properties

is set to the media I am going to use. Have you?

You need to go through the process I have offered you in my replies. Doing this is what I would call an audit:

1] Do my Project settings reflect the media I am using?

2] Is the Media I am using, needing too much on-the-fly encoding for Vegas to keep up with?

3] What parts, and where, do my FX-ing come into play and with what severity are they impinging on my Previewing<>Rendering?

Mostly Vegas will keep up with what you throw at it. It is good like that. However, this is where you need to keep a weather-eye out (Audit) to what you are stuffing onto that Timeline. Vegas, like a willing donkey, will try and cope with what you throw at it. It is our job to be a bit more understanding as to what and how we expect Vegas to behave.
    Last edited by Grazie; 09-02-2010 at 08:27 AM.

Another "quick" test would be to zap the Project and eliminate ALL the unused Media in Project Media.

Firstly save your project as "TestProject1"; close VEgas reopen and open the Test1Project1; in the Project Media pane click on the Lightening Bolt the "Remove all unused Media from Project" Icon and this will do as it says. This should reduce as much of the unused baggage from your project and give your system more space to operate what is - rendering - a majorly CPU intensive process.

My thoughts on all of this are that:

A] You are using a project setting that does not wholly reflect your HD content.

B] Your HD content is demanding a lot of your CPU.

C] You could very well have a bunch of Media stuffed into the Project Media pane that is hobbling your system to operate.

6. Default

Another "quick" test would be to zap the Project and eliminate ALL the unused Media in Project Media.

Firstly save your project as "TestProject1"; close VEgas reopen and open the Test1Project1; in the Project Media pane click on the Lightening Bolt the "Remove all unused Media from Project" Icon and this will do as it says. This should reduce as much of the unused baggage from your project and give your system more space to operate what is - rendering - a majorly CPU intensive process.
    I do this routinely, at least once every time I open a given project. But why did you recommend that I save it under a different name first?

My thoughts on all of this are that:

A] You are using a project setting that does not wholly reflect your HD content.

B] Your HD content is demanding a lot of your CPU.

C] You could very well have a bunch of Media stuffed into the Project Media pane that is hobbling your system to operate.
    Well, I don't think it's B or C.

A seems like a possibility-- if that is the case, what can we do about it?

- Well, you've answered my question. Now we CAN just drag a VEG file into another Vegas Project. Vegas now treats VEG files as just another piece of Media. In doing this Vegas executes a process to produce a proxy file - which needs space - and then presents this into your main project. But as you asking what "nesting" is, it would appear you haven't done that? Have you?
    No, I haven't. I'm still not entirely sure of the concept itself. Sorry for my lack of understanding-- I'm still relatively new to Vegas and I'm no expert by any means.

Try removing the HD and see if you get a better results. If this is the case then you need to stipulate just would form of HD you are using. For example AVCHD, which I have used, is really quite lumpy for Vegas to edit and needs another approach. Native MXF files are ok. Again saying HD doesn't quite identify just what your issues could be - more info needed here?
    Well, I work with HD content a lot, and generally, the only hitch with that is that it doesn't play back smoothly in the Preview window, but all I do then is use the Dynamic RAM Preview feature (shift+B) and it plays fine. And again, I have very little HD content in this or really any project that I'm working on.

Well, are they on the EVENT or are they applied at Track Level?
    I'm not sure how I can tell the difference.

To expand on this I would say that I would set my project up to more correctly, accurately reflect the media I have on the timeline.

So, I firstly make sure my Project:

File | Properties | Project Properties

is set to the media I am going to use. Have you?
    I won't lie, I'm not sure what more than half the information in the Project Properties window means. I'll tell you what I can though:

My template is set to NTSC DV (720x480, 29.970 fps). I actually render the final product in Widescreen NTSC DV, but most of my clips are actually in standard definition (480 as opposed to 720 or 1080), and I just Pan/Crop to adjust them to a widescreen format.

I have the "Adjust source media to better match project or render settings" box checked.

Other than that, it's pretty much a different language to me. I haven't fooled around with this too much.

2] Is the Media I am using, needing too much on-the-fly encoding for Vegas to keep up with?
    I don't think so. It plays it just fine if I import the files to the timeline and play it back via the preview window.

3] What parts, and where, do my FX-ing come into play and with what severity are they impinging on my Previewing<>Rendering?
    I don't think this is an issue either. Generally, events with FX will play back fine, and if not, a Dynamic RAM Preview will solve that.

I run Vegas Pro 9 on a laptop with 1 TB of storage space and 8 GB of RAM. I assumed that since 8 GB is a large amount of memory for a laptop (or any computer really), I'd be able to use Vegas smoothly, quickly, efficiently and without a hitch.

I had used all but about 2 GB of storage space on my two internal hard drives (500 GB each), and at that point, coincidentally or not, I started to have problems with Vegas.
    I'm surprised you manage to get anything to run on your laptop.
    If you fill your disk over a certain percentage your going to get all sorts of problems. Try filling a disk to it's max and then try to do something with the files. You can't. The OS gets up to all sorts of things unknown to the user. Writing temp working files, increasing the size of the page file etc...

You'll have to back up some of your old files and delete some off your hard drives to make more room on the disk. I usually won't go over 20-15% free space, as I begin to see a marked slowing down of the system.

When you have more free disk space it's always good to do a defrag.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'm surprised you manage to get anything to run on your laptop.
    If you fill your disk over a certain percentage your going to get all sorts of problems. Try filling a disk to it's max and then try to do something with the files. You can't. The OS gets up to all sorts of things unknown to the user. Writing temp working files, increasing the size of the page file etc...

You'll have to back up some of your old files and delete some off your hard drives to make more room on the disk. I usually won't go over 20-15% free space, as I begin to see a marked slowing down of the system.

When you have more free disk space it's always good to do a defrag.
    I did all that already. I bought a 1.36 TB external hard drive, and cleared about 316 GB of disk space off of my laptop and put it onto the external hard drive. I then performed a defrag (even though my laptop does it automatically once a week), restarted my computer, and discovered I still had the same problem. This was around 3 or 4 days ago, and I'm still have the problem to this day.

As a matter of fact, I just opened a 197 KB project, went to another project (133 KB-- I had both projects opened at once). I was in the latter project, then went back to the 197 KB project window. There was literally 20 seconds before I was able to actually access the program. The little blue circle that indicates something is loading was spinning the whole 20 seconds (I have Windows Vista) and Vegas even rendered itself as "Not Responding" before it actually finished loading and allowed me to access the project.

Also, I think what might be an issue is the fact that in one project, I have 85 different videos contained in the project (not events, but I've used 85 different video files), and in the other, I've used 65.

Like I said before, I tried to put them together as one project, so that's 150 video files by my count. Is that too much?
    Last edited by Ray AP19; 09-04-2010 at 02:10 AM.

I can't say knowledgeably that it's to much but it is a lot of files. More than I've ever worked with. It's good that you cleared out your hard drives that will help. Are you running to OS on one disk and the media on the other. I hope your not trying to run the files from the USB drive back up disk.

The problem seems to be an OS issue rather than a Vegas issue. Has there been any Windows updates recently ? Have you installed or removed any programs recently ? These are all things which could affect your lap tops performance. Do you have a program that can clean your registry ? Without having your machine in front of me it's hard to do a proper diagnosis, not that I'm any kind of expert, I just know from my own system the kind of things that can get in the way of performance.

Do take note of what Grazie says, he knows Vegas better than anyone I know.

You have a nice laptop which I'm sure worked well for you when you first got it, so I'm sure it can be resolved with some system optimisation. Unless you have a hard ware fault. Another thing is to make sure you don't have a virus. A friend of mine brought his PC to me a few weeks ago because it wasn't working a well as it should. I found 25,000 pieces of malicious software on his PC. This is a record for me.

Hope you manage to resolve your issue.

10. Default

I can't say knowledgeably that it's to much but it is a lot of files. More than I've ever worked with. It's good that you cleared out your hard drives that will help. Are you running to OS on one disk and the media on the other. I hope your not trying to run the files from the USB drive back up disk.
    Well, I have media on both hard drives and the OS is on one. The one with the OS is the one I cleared.

The problem seems to be an OS issue rather than a Vegas issue. Has there been any Windows updates recently ? Have you installed or removed any programs recently ?
    My computer updates automatically, so I'm not entirely sure.

Do you have a program that can clean your registry ?
    Is there anything you could recommend?

You have a nice laptop which I'm sure worked well for you when you first got it, so I'm sure it can be resolved with some system optimisation.
    What would you recommend for optimization?

Hope you manage to resolve your issue.
    It's appreciated

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast