Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting AVCHD to DVD.

Default Converting AVCHD to DVD.

Hi guys, I have just completed my first few projects on Sony Vegas Pro 9. I have a Canon hfs 20 camera and edited everything in AVCHD and burnt them to a DVD, which I obviously can only play on a blu-ray player. I'm absolutely rapt with the quality but my question is, how do I create a version of these that can be played in a DVD player for friends and family? Do I need conversion software or can Vegas do it? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Did you get just Sony Vegas Pro or did you get Sony DVD Architect with it.
    DVDA is a DVD (and CD and Blu-Ray) authoring program and is usually included with Pro.

If you're going to DVDA then in Vegas, with your film on the timeline, you want to render two files with the same name...
    The first should be an MPEG2 using the DVDA Widescreen template (NTSC or PAL depending on your region) which will give you a video only mpg file (eg myfilm.mpg)

The second should be a Dolby (AC3) audio file (myfilm.ac3)

Now you need to open DVDA and the simplest thing to do is create a new Widescreen DVD single film project. It'll ask you for the source (locate myfilm.mpg) automatically associate the myfilm.ac3 file and after yu click on a few buttons (Burn DVD) you have a DVD!

If you don't have DVDA, then from Vegas create a widescreen DVD but NOT the DVDA template as you want sound included.

Then use something like Nero to burn a DVD from the resulting MPG.

That's only an overview, but hopefully it will be enough to get you started.
    Tim

Thanks for the reply Tim. I managed to create one mpeg2 file from the vegas timeline which included the sound, using the DVDA widescreen template (bonus!). I then burnt a disc in DVDA and was quite happy with the results apart from some horizontal shimmering in certain scenes. As it only happens in some scenes would this be a camera setting issue? Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Hmmm. Horizontal shimmering. Can you describe in more detail? Any chance you could post a sample on-line somewhere?
    Tim

Its like horizontal shuddering lines when panning. I have just created a you-tube account so if I can pm or email you with the link i'd appreciate it if you could have a look.

Sounds like the CMOS sensor issue - "Rolling Shutter".

Do a Google search . . . . it's all there . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greencut View Post
    Its like horizontal shuddering lines when panning. I have just created a you-tube account so if I can pm or email you with the link i'd appreciate it if you could have a look.
    By all means pm me, but better would be to post a linkin this thread so you can have the benefit of the experience of brighter sparks than me.
    Tim

Here is the link for the mpeg version
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tEC3wexbtE]YouTube - mpeg2 version.[/ame]

and the avchd version
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXEOKMoUMpQ&hd=1]YouTube - avchd version[/ame].

Hope I did that correctly.

Blog Entries

Thanks for posting. I have toadmit I don't see any "shimmering" problem around the one minute mark or anywhere. A thought does occur to me. Have you actually playe dthis in a DVD player?
    MPEG2 files for DVD are interlaced and do not look good played directly on a PC screen unless the player deinterlaces properly. Perhaps this is what you're seeing. It will show up predominantly on vertical lines whech are moving left or right in the shot.

Quite apart from that, I think that's an excellent video that all the amily will absolutely love.
    Tim

Sorry I should have said it starts at the 2.15 mark in the mpeg version and yeah it does it on DVD in several different players. But thanks pretty happy with it for first project, Vegas is a very steep learning curve and Ive got a lot more to learn!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast