Thread: major question from somebody new to video editing

Default major question from somebody new to video editing

OK, I have a friend who is a musician. We want to film a homemade sort of video for her but she is overweight. Since appearances are everything somebody had suggested that we find out how somebody can edit a video to distort it and make the singer look thinner. Can you tell me of any free or really cheap software out there that does this kind of effect? What is this kind of effect called? Yes I know there are other options for this sort of scenario like hiding her body or something but I want to try this out and see if it will pass, she just needs a little bit of effecting.

Anybody at all?

Blog Entries

It's essentially the same technique that graphic artists would use to airbrush a model in a photo. Except that you would need to do this for every frame of your video that she's in. That's up to 30 frames per second. And the you have the added complication of replacing the backgorund if you don't use a green screen. There's no quick solution.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Can't you alter the dimensions to distort the pic ? What editing tool does that ?

Blog Entries

Sure you can, but that would distort everything, and not just the woman. You could do this by changing the pixel aspect ratio of the footage in almost any editing application.

Windows Movie Maker doesn't have that, does it ?

What would be the best free editing software to use for that ?

Blog Entries

WMM should let you change the pixel aspect ratio on final export. VirtualDUB will have a filter to do this too. But it's definately not a solution I would recommend. The whole video will just look odd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Default

Theres the possibility of shooting the video so that there is nothing in the background that you would noticed squashed up a bit if you changed the pixels, but to be honest, as said above, its going to be noticable eiher way

I would have said the best way to do it would simply be to work out your shots so that you didnt have the woman fully in shot ?

Close ups that dont show the size, DOF shots the have the woman blured in the background with something in focus in the front of the shot etc etc

Though to be honest i think she is worrying over nothing, and if its a musician then people should be judging on the music not the image, theres plenty of overweight or just plain ugly people singing these days !

If its first impressions that matter, make the first halfof the video not showing any full shots of her, and the second half show her, that way the viewer has time to Like the song and make their judgement on that first

I think there are two further problems with changing the aspect ratio.

First. The shape of some body parts (e.g. the eyes) are unaffected by the body mass. Squeezing the image would distort everything by the same percentage.

Second. The squeeze may only look natural if the orientation does not change. For example, consider a person facing the camera with their arms by their side. The squeeze would affect the width of their arm, but not its length. If the person raises one arm to shoulder height; then their arm reverts to the correct width - but it's length will have mysteriously shortened.

I'd look more into lighting the shoot well and finding makeup and clothing that looks visually slimmer.

and like WayneG said, picking shots tactfully.

Theres no quick fix in the edit and I would imagine that the whole idea for a newbie to attempt such a task is just going to end in disaster.

Save yourself the trouble and plan the actual shoot around this issue.