Thread: Outputting to DVD

Default Outputting to DVD

I apologize in advance for asking for some basic assistance. Using Vegas Movie Studio HD (trial version) to edit an adventure movie. Shot using a Kodak PlaySport HD camcorder in 720p resolution mode. Movie appears sharp in Preview window (Video:NTSC Video CD (352x240, 29.970 fps; Pixel Aspect Ratio = .9132) but when burned to a DVD, doesn't appear crisp (titles don't have clean edges, colors seem to shimmer). I converted the base .mov files to .mpg and output the movie in .mpg format. I believe I selected the highest quality rendering output choices. Audio quality is fine. Is there a checklist I can use that would help me in step-by-step troubleshooting? Any FAQ's that would help? Thanks.

2. Default

Make sure that you have selected the highest resolution for 720p in your project settings. (I assume that NTSC Video CD is the preview setting). Goto File-Project Settings and select Template to HDV-720-25p or HDV-720-25p. And then render the project to m2t. or avi. (if you have space on your DVD),because these gives you good quality.
    Hope you can now burn high-guality video!

Quote Originally Posted by laehtis View Post
    Goto File-Project Settings and select Template to HDV-720-25p or HDV-720-25p.
    - I'm not seeing a difference in your advice? Have I missed something?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    - I'm not seeing a difference in your advice? Have I missed something?
    Sorry,I mean that the second is HDV-720-30p
    Thanks for your attention!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Wilkie View Post
    Using Vegas Movie Studio HD (trial version) to edit an adventure movie. Shot using a Kodak PlaySport HD camcorder in 720p resolution mode.
    I'm not sure that as this is a Trail version of Vegas, then it wouldn't have come with the full MPEG2 licence to produce quality DVDs. You need to look into that - yeah? What you may very well be doing is rendering to the only MPEG render-er which is MPEG1 quality. But this was back in the '80s when VCDs were all the rage. And yes I have produced some more than average quality VCDs at MPEG1. But times move on . . . .
    And this kinda nails it for me with what you trying to cope with:

Movie appears sharp in Preview window (Video:NTSC Video CD (352x240, 29.970 fps; Pixel Aspect Ratio = .9132)
    See the VCD note there? "Video:NTSC Video CD "

Moving on . . . .

I converted the base .mov files to .mpg and output the movie in .mpg format. I believe I selected the highest quality rendering output choices. . . . Is there a checklist I can use that would help me in step-by-step troubleshooting?
    You are very twisted about in what you are trying to accomplish. MOV is a wrapper and delivery format; MPEG 1 or 2 are delivery formats. Why would you want to convert to a delivery format and then use that as your means of providing a quality final product to THEN do another render to another MPEG delivery format? You have, what appears to be, 2 stages which involve a loss of quality as a result f the compression you are employing.

My Workflow:

Standard Definition > Captured to Vegas in DV > Edit in DV > create a finished AVI and from THAT I create an MPEG2 which is not altered by DVDA which then burns to DVD.

I keep ALL my output at the highest NON-compressed - I don't mean uncompressed! - that is available to me. This way I know I can keep control of what and when I need to make that final commitment to a delivery format - MPEG2 - for burning to a deliverable DVD platter.

To recap:

A] Being a Trial version of "Vegas" I don't believe/think you have the MPEG2 option to get the best DVD output. VCD output, with MPEG1, sure, but not MPEG2.

B] It would appear you are doing twice as many compressions as needs be.

Apart from that, seems good to me <wink>!

Default Outputting to DVD

Hello Grazie & Laehtis,

Many thanks for your advice. You both have helped me. The Vegas version does give me the option to output in MPEG-2. However, when I try it, I end up with an error msg. I think the weak link in my chain is my DVD burner. It's an older standard definition model. I'm assuming that if I want the highest resolution DVD version of my movie, I need an HD burner. I converted the .mov files to .mpg because I was going to use another editing software that only accepted .mpg source files. I've since used the original .mov files. The render looks pretty good.

OK, I'm going to tweak my output based on what you two suggested. I'll send you the link to watch it on YouTube. Thanks again.

Jim Wilkie

7. Default

Hello Grazie & Laehtis,

Many thanks for your advice. You both have helped me. The Vegas version does give me the option to output in MPEG-2. However, when I try it, I end up with an error msg. I think the weak link in my chain is my DVD burner. It's an older standard definition model. I'm assuming that if I want the highest resolution DVD version of my movie, I need an HD burner. I converted the .mov files to .mpg because I was going to use another editing software that only accepted .mpg source files. I've since used the original .mov files. The render looks pretty good.

OK, I'm going to tweak my output based on what you two suggested. I'll send you the link to watch it on YouTube. Thanks again.

Jim Wilkie
    No problem,always glad to help. Looking forward for your video!
    Posted via Mobile Device