Thread: Idyllic Ewell Court

Default Idyllic Ewell Court

Not far from me there is a grand old house set in beautiful grounds. This is a short film that I hope shows off some of the beautiful views on offer at Ewell Court.

I am having serious issues with iMovie HD when trying to use fades at the moment, so please forgive me the hard cut at the end - I'd have far rather had a fade to black as the music fades.

Last edited by MikeTV; 08-30-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Short, sweet & to the point. Appropriate music.
    A bit overexposed in places (a) when the children run across the bridge they are fine until they pass into the light (b) as you have sunlight through trees we have massive contrast so exposure is very difficult. Would I be right in thinking an ND filter would help with this?

Are you local to the area, Mike? I'm only a few miles away and I've visited it a few times. My wife's grandmother (96) lives in wardened accommodation which backs onto Ewell Court and I've played at a wedding in the building itself.
    Tim

Hi Tim,

If I knew what an ND filter was, I would almost certainly agree with you!

I live around the corner, so yes, very local! Small world, huh!

Thanks for your comments. My wife was only saying today that they hold weddings their funnily enough, and that I should put a promotional video together for them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    If I knew what an ND filter was, I would almost certainly agree with you!
    It was actually a genuine question aimed at more knowledgeable people than me (ie most of the world).

An "ND" (Neutral Density) filter basically cuts down the amount of light - equally across the spectrum (hence "neutral").

One reason a protographer/videographer might want to do this is to allow the iris to be more open (which without the filter, would cause over exposure), the wider the iris, the shallower the depth of field (this is not the only aspect affecting DoF) and a shallow depth of field is often desirable.

But I was wondering whether it might help in high contrast situations such as you had here.

I live around the corner, so yes, very local! Small world, huh!
    If you're interested, I'm a member of Staines Ciné & Video Society - Homepage which is probably one of the nearest video clubs to you (Ealing might be nearer). We meet on Friday evenings and our new season starts this very Friday. Always looking for new members. If you're under 60 you'll bring the average age down significantly (at 49 I'm the youngest!).

My wife was only saying today that they hold weddings their funnily enough, and that I should put a promotional video together for them.
    My advice there would be to make sure you have plenty of shots with people in - not posing (apart from posing for a wedding photographer), but interacting with the building - going through doors, up or down stairs, sitting chatting over a cup of coffee/glass of wine. You may well need to "pose" all these "natural" shots.

If you're promoting a venue, don't show the venue, show it being used.
    Tim

Thanks Tim. I realised it was a genuine question, but I'm afraid it went over my head. I will research and see if I have enough pennies to afford one.

Thanks for the offer of joining the Staines Ciné & Video Society, I am busy this Friday but I'd definitely like to look into it for future weeks.

Thanks again, Tim.

Mike

Sorry I haven't been around for a few days. I had a virus on my PC and had to blank my C: drive. :( If I ever get hold of the person who wrote W32.ramnit I'll........ Anyway back to the thread.

Nice pace of editing with the music, which I thought fitted really well and gave the piece a nice mood. The shot of the lake at around 45 sec was held to long, 10 seconds is a long time for one clip, if there isn't very much happening in it or it needs to be really spectacular.

Tim is right about the ND filter. If you haven't got one you could try bringing up the shutter speed to stop the burn out which will allow you to keep the iris open. Or if you don't need a shallow DoF, just close the iris. All this will require you to be in manual mode on the camera.

I noticed you even did a focus pull at the end. Isn't that my signature shot.

Well done Mike.

Totally agree with Tim..

Short, sweet & to the point. Appropriate music.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Thanks Rollingstock..

MB, I totally agree with you on the lake shot. I really liked that shot, and while I realised after that I should have cut the lake probably at 40' and not 46' I thought at the time that 40' was too short and there wasn't another good section of the music to cut it on until 46'

I need to look into a DF filter I think, although I had never heard of it until Tim mentioned it in this thread! So much to learn

Thanks for your feedback, it's much appreciated.