Thread: Recording HD onto SD Mini DVD Tapes?

Default Recording HD onto SD Mini DV Tapes?

I am thinking about buying an 720p HD Mini DV camcarder to replace my 480p SD (Standard Definition) one. I heard from my uncle that there isn't much of a difference recording HD video onto regular SD tapes. Is there any noticeable difference at all? I record LOTS of family videos I don't want to get an HD camera if I can't record onto the cheaper SD tapes.

It would be nice to get the full 720p on the tape, but I'd be happy with 600p. I mostly want it so I can apply an image stabilizer to my family videos without the video blurring in SD.

- Thanks
    Last edited by MeMyselfAndPi; 08-30-2010 at 03:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Do you mean HDV as the format for the new camcorder? You will have no issues recording to DV tapes using an HDV camcorder. However, you will not be able to control the resolution of your video. HDV is a standard format and therefore the dimensions of the framesize are set in that format.

But that's beside the point, as the tapes are designed to record in that format and you will have no issues.

Have you thought about a tapeless camera using AVCHD?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Default

You cant record HD onto an SD tape if thats what you mean ?

If you mean recording in SD on your HDV video camera, yes it will probably be better than your old camera

I use a Sony FX1 and record in SD onto normal MiniDV tapes and thats for the TV, so definatly good enough

I dont have any need to record in HD as Motors TV only broadcast in SD, so it would be scaled down anyway.

Blog Entries

Well that shows my ignorance! I thought that HDV cams use miniDV tapes, i.e. that there is technically no distinction between an SD and HD tape other than what's recorded on it.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Default

Not sure what the differences are to be honest?

Only time i have used my camera in HDV was for a job i did for someone and they supplied me with the HDV tapes, so i presume there is a difference or there wouldnt be a need for HDV tapes ?

As i said, ive ony recorded in SD on the regular ( orange packed ) Sony MiniDV tapes

Blog Entries

Just read lots of posts. The long and short is that it's claimed HDV labelled tapes are made to a higher spec, which reduces the chance of drop out. Most users have said that they have never experienced or had a few drps outs over years of use on premium DV tapes. So for the OP shooting home movies, min DV would appear to be fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Default

Oh right

Never knew they were the same, i just presumed the camera just wouldnt record HDV onto a normal SD tape.

Dont think i will be using HDV in the near future but good to know if i do

Blog Entries

As Marc suggests, HDV tapes basically the same, as SD tapes more highly specified and on average have fewer drop outs (I'm guessing they have tighter QA).

Drop outs in HDV are much more significant though. A single drop out on SD means one frame (ie 1/25th or 1/30th sec dropped) which can usually be patched over by duplicatinmg the frame before/after and no-one will notice.

On the other hand, HDV compression (or indeed any form of inter-frame compression) relies on frames before and/or after being intact. HDV uses (I think) a 15 frame GOP, thus one dropped frame results in 15 frames of missing footage - ie half a second. You won't manage to patch that.

That is why drop-outs are so much more critical.

So SD is not less susceptible to dropout than HDV, it's just that the repercussions are less significant.
    Tim