Thread: Pendulus Video

1. Default Pendulus Video

Hi all,

In between my documentaries that are in production (slow production I know, but they are still active) I have made a musical montage video of the thrillride 'Pendulus' at Pleasure Island Cleethorpes.
    The manager of the park gave me permission to utilise my home made crane jib and some of those shots feature within the video. The rest of the shots were a mixture of hand held and tripod shots. I filmed the footage over several visits to acquire as many angles as possible (some shots may look alike but they are not quite the same...part of same clip but a different time of the clip). I really wanted the crane jib shots to be a little bit more animated but for some reason the effect was lost.
    Still, I had to make do and here is the result. Because of the nature of the ride which is just basically a swinging, spinning disc, I added some effects towards the end just to break up the monotony.
    The final shot was completely accidental, I remember thinking that the trees ruined my shot, but actually, it turned out to be the best clip to end the video on.
    Comments are greatly appreciated. Thankyou for your time.

[youtube] [/youtube]

Blog Entries

Played this with no sound. Really liked the variety of shots, and agree that the closing shot was a great clip to end with. The opening (handheld) clips didn't work for me, however, particularly a sequence of 5 or so clips. I think they definately could work, as long as they were closer up and mixed in with some stable shots. I would also have liked to have seen some "on board shots". The effects were fine, but why only apply them at the end? In my opinion, a few clips at the front too would have been better.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Played this with no sound. Really liked the variety of shots, and agree that the closing shot was a great clip to end with.
    Thanks Marc

The opening (handheld) clips didn't work for me, however, particularly a sequence of 5 or so clips. I think they definately could work, as long as they were closer up and mixed in with some stable shots.
    The clips were actually straightforward zooms, I added the twist in the shot using the pan and zoom feature, just to try and add some movement to them. They are also introduction shots to the ride, but yes, I agree they would have looked better close up.

I would also have liked to have seen some "on board shots".
    Yes, could have been possible with the permission of the park, I never thought of filming onride actually, just focused on the offride shots.

The effects were fine, but why only apply them at the end? In my opinion, a few clips at the front too would have been better.
    The only reason I added them at the end was because I was using the music to guide the video along and the change in music to use those effects are all at the end. The soundtrack I used was my 5th or 6th choice I think, I just couldn't find a suitable one for it. The main trouble was that I only had about 56 clips to work with (most clips were 1 or 2 minutes long but were basically the same looking shot) and the previous soundtracks were quite fast and potentially had a lot of cuts to work with, but I realised I just wouldn't have had enough variety of footage.

As you say it's not easy to make something that swings back and forth look interesting but you made a good effort with the variety of shots that you did.

May be adding the human factor would have made it more interesting. Seeing people screaming etc. Or at least as Marc has already said a POV from being on the ride.

well i lasted to the 3.00 min mark, just too much repeated scenes for me..

if it was me making this video this is what I would have done..

aim for a 90 second duration..even 60 seconds may be too long!

add cut aways of people watching this device, always remember faces are far more interesting than that machine..adding a few shots of people watching the machine would really break up your video, and get real close ups of faces.

lock off your f stop, I could see it changing as light changes, nothing wrong with a bit of black screen as a nice effect..

drop the zooming camera shots they just don't work..

for online videos do not title, ho hum..!
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Had some good shots. I'd just say use a tripod, so the shots are more still.

I would also make it shorter.

Blog Entries

Knowing the target audience for these videos, I would disagree about the length and titling. For example, as a "videographer", I found the title to be useful, explaining what equipment was used. For fans of roller coasters, content is king. They would want more than just 60 to 90 seconds.

For niche videos, different rules apply. I may be wrong, but HoldOnTight isn't looking to get his videos seens by millions, but rather enjoyed by those that share a passion for coasters. And as niche videos go, it's a very good effort, and certainly one of the better examples. As we've all said, it's hard to make a swinging pendulum exciting. But then I've seen plenty of dull videos of exciting sports. Who'd have thought you could make a motor racing video dull for example?

Blog Entries

You start with some nice (albeit a bit wobbly) close-ups of the stationary ride. I'd have liked to have seen quite a few more whilst the ride was going. The overriding feeling I got was of lots of wide shots, which show the "concept" of the ride, but don't really give us the excitement.

As has been mentioned, perhaps some on-board footage.

I'd definitely go for some close up footage of people on the ride and people watching (cheat if necessary - they could be watching something else!)

As Rollingstock said, watch out for the aito-focus "bloom".

I suspect the crane shots weren't really obvious becasue these sorts of shots work best to add movement to a shot when the subject is still.

Whilst theme parks & rides hold little interest for me (the idea of queuing for 40 mins to do something that lasts a few seconds simply doesn't appeal) I didn't find this little film too long - I think because is was a collection of different images and edited sympathetically to the music.

Well done.
    Tim