Thread: premiere 6.0 choppy

Default premiere 6.0 choppy

I am trying to edit a dvd and I converted the .vob to a 720x480 dv-avi. The new dv-avi has almost perfect play back in VLC Player but when I export it into a project in Premiere it becomes really choppy. I have a 1.2 gig Athlon with 1 gig memory. Is my computer capable of doing this? Should I be using a different file format for editing? I am totally new to this so don't rule out the obvious.

I used the Huffyuv codec and even though it is supposedly lossless there is a little bit of frame freezing occasionally for a very short amount of time, almost unnoticable, but in premiere it is much worse. Any idea why?

Blog Entries

It's almost certainly due to your PCs lack of processing power.

would it help to split the avi into multiple parts and edit just the few small clips that need it and then put it back together or is that going to cause problems. What I am looking to do is cover the old telephone number with the new one, and I have figured out how to do that

Blog Entries

if you edit in DV and then export from premiere once finished, the resulting video shouldn't be choppy. It's just the preview that's choppy. If you can put up with that while editing, there should be no problems on final render (export)
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Marc, the final render was fine and the phone number and address changes where successful. The only problem is the original .avi I got from converting the .vob has a flash of dithering about every second constantly through out the play back. It would seem reasonable to start a whole new thread for that problem. First though, I am going to try a different conversion program tonight and maybe get a better avi.