Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wedding Fair - no follow up interest?

Default Wedding Fair - no follow up interest?

I attended my first bridal show in England just a few days ago. It was well attended by brides to be and I had a good afternoon chatting to lots of people. I gave away 70 information packs containing a leaflet and demo disc in a cool envelope. Many of the brides seemed to be interested in what I was offering. I offered an extra discount incentive if they booked in the next couple of weeks, but so far, just two people gave contacted me.

Am I being unrealistic to expect more interest, or is it just that wedding videos, even though lots of people took the info pack, comes down the list of priorities in terms of the timeline approaching the wedding (i.e. venue 1st, photographer 2nd, dress 3rd etc)?

I didn't try to get people to book at the bridal show as I didn't want to seem pushy. I wanted them to go home, read the info, watch the DVD and then book!

But, I was hoping for more than two emails by now! If you give out 70 demo discs, how many bookings would you realistically hope to receive? I know my demos are good as when I send them by post, people are often happy to make a booking.

Any comments?

Thanks.

2 responses this quickly is not a bad result at all. Don't be too unhappy about it. I've found that often brides will go to fairs 'just looking' and not actually wanting to book anything right now or in the immediate future.

If they like you they will come back at the appropriate time. While I've taken bookings at wedding fairs (I am not pushy), and taken bookings within a week or two, more often then not I'll get a call or e-mail several months later wanting to book saying they saw me at xyz wedding fair.

I've also found that wedding fairs where I'm the only videographer present work less well than when there is some one to compare us to. We usually pick up more business when they've seen the shaky footage the other guy is showing as his best work

Wedding fairs should be seen as a medium to long term investment - not something that will always generate immediate business.

We've attended wedding fairs/shows for 12 years +. From 200 local hotels to 1200 exhibition halls.
    Very few will book on the day as they need time to compare prices/quality, but a couple of bookings a few weeks later isn't too bad.
    Many couples are planning years ahead so they can come in up to 12 months later.
    It's not just the quantity, it's the quality of leads that counts. I'd sooner have one classy couple book than 6 tight budget ones. as once the final polished product is in their hands they pass our details round their friends and recommendations are far more valuable than new client leads.
    Don't forget, it's not just about how many enquiries, it's about networking with other suppliers too. They're all a good source of work.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Blog Entries

From a "client" perspective, fairs are probably one of the last places I'd arrange for a supplier. It's an opportunity to get a few ideas, and people always pick up everything that supplieres hand out. But I wouldn't go to a fair with the intention of booking something, rather get ideas. In fact, of all the exhibitions I've ever been to, I've never bought anything as a direct result of going there.

I think zero sums it up perfectly. It's often about networking with other suppliers rather direct than client contact. And those clients that you do "win", would inevitably convert into further clients through word of mouth.

Blog Entries

We usually pick up more business when they've seen the shaky footage the other guy is showing as his best work
    More than happy to act as a stooge . Have plenty of shaky footage!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    More than happy to act as a stooge . Have plenty of shaky footage!
    There does seem to be quite a few of them around already ..... but I'll keep you in mind

You have it about right, very rare to book on the day.

We are normally the last to be booked and so not on the top priority, they have normally spent all their budget by then and so start shopping around for cheap & not quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    We are normally the last to be booked and so not on the top priority,
    For us, this used to be the case too, up till about 5 years ago, then things changed noticeably and it's not because we were cheap, we're not. We're currently topping 2k.
    For the last few years we've been top of clients lists for must haves, even going so far as to book us before they booked their reception venue. They even gave us the choice of best venue to film at.
    So . . . things have moved on, and providing wedding DVD producers can fulfil high expectations, behave professionaly & impeccably, interract with all levels of clientele and produce consistent, high quality memories of the day, there's no reason why clients can't recognise wedding DVDs contain the most important memories of the day.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

That's the first I have heard of them coming to you before even booking the wedding venue.
    I have had the odd ones who have video as the high priority, but mainly we are the last ones. This is very dependant on the persons background and education as I have found couple who get married latter in life with a university education, tend to have us more up the list or a least on the list to start with and with a good budget.

" things have moved on, and providing wedding DVD producers can fulfil high expectations, behave professionally & impeccably, interact with all levels of clientele and produce consistent, high quality memories of the day, there's no reason why clients can't recognise wedding DVDs contain the most important memories of the day. "

Bit of a red herring I think Zero, as I have seen some awful DVDs but the clients love them, so videographers are filling expectations somewhere and are probably professional. I hope it does change and I am sure i will as it has for you, having filmed for twenty odd years, things have improved, but still some way to go.

You're right about some awful DVDs still being liked Z. Though it's usually the case that many couples just like seeing themselves on screen and any old shot will do.
    Our yardstick is to exceed expectations and we continually strive for perfection in filming and editing continuity. It'll never be achieved of course, as there's always a blip at some point that takes the edge off a perfect wedding DVD.

Our latest wedding client so impressed they were considering hiring a cinema and inviting all their friends to the premiere.
    My suggestion, though money was no object anyway, was for us to put the highlights on a DVD and send these out as a thank you to all their guests. . . Just waiting for the 100 DVD order to be confirmed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast