Thread: What will run well on my Laptop?

Default What will run well on my Laptop?

Thanks in advance, and I apologize for being a n00b when it comes to this stuff.

I'm looking for editing software, and I am having trouble figuring out what will and will not run on my laptop.

Here's the goal: To edit down short programs - working with about 30-60 minutes of raw footage at a time - cutting it down into 5 minute shows. I want to put together video, audio and be able to use something like Magic Bullet Colorista or Looks to do some correction - I'd likely only be applying one effect at a time.

What I have: A Dell Vostro 1700 Laptop with an Intel T7250 Core2Duo 2.0GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB 5400RPM HDD, video is an nVidia 8400M GT. I am going to add a 500GB 7200 RPM drive in the second bay as well as 3GB of RAM.

I haven't picked out a camera yet - I'm assuming I'll probably go with a DV cam and dub in realtime as opposed to messing with AVCHD.

Here's the issue - I've been trying out a few trial programs, and nothing is working terribly well. Adobe Premiere CS4 and CS3 chugged along really slowly (never mind with any FX), then I tried Pinnacle Studio Ultimate - it edited ok, but was a lot like Windows Movie Maker (I didn't try any FX with it). Then I tried an old trial of Vegas 8 - it liked the .avi file I was testing with and I liked the layout, but it struggled when I tried to pull in an effect from Magic Bullet - studdering on playback.

I thought I had decent specs, at least for an older program, but I can't find anything with decent features that works smoothly - except for the really simple stuff like Movie Maker.

Any recommendations? Should my system be able to handle any of that software I tried? Would things be noticeably better after adding the second drive and more memory?

Thanks - again, I apologize for being a n00b - I can knock it out of the park with audio editing, but video is completely new to me.

Todd.

Blog Entries

In short, no your system isn't good enough for real time previews of magic bullet. It's fine for simple cuts, transitions and image adjustments of DV, but you'll struggle with real time previews of anything complex. I have a similary specced laptop running CS4, and work with proxy files of AVCHD videos before the final output. It's a painstaking process, and one I wouldn't recommend.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Blog Entries

Just to add, the only real improvement would be an i5 or higher CPU, and that means a brand new laptop. Adding RAM would not be cost effective.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks Marc - I downloaded an AVCHD test file, and you were spot-on - I could play it back pretty smoothly and put a couple of clips together with not much of a problem - but when I tried to throw Magic Bullet on it - the preview was very choppy.

It was still encouraging, though - I can put together short pieces (which is my goal) and if I want Magic Bullet on any of it - I can throw it on the track right before output. And I appear to be able to use the Sony effects in Vegas and get a decent realtime preview. Vegas Movie Studio seems the most friendly with my laptop.

Thanks! Now I just have to decide on a camera to use to get my feet wet...