Thread: Convert Mov file to something FCP can recognise?

Default Convert Mov file to something FCP can recognise?

Hi guys

What is the best way to convert a mov file to avoid major compression issues?

I'd like either Mpeg or Avi.

FCP does not import mov files so how could I do this?

Thanks!

Please correct me if I'm wrong here as I'm not a Mac user but a .mov is an Apple format. So why will FCP not accept this format !?

Thats what I thought! I'm trying to get a video edited in mov format but apparently FCP does not accept mov files. It needs to be converted according to the editor.

I guess he's talking rubbish hey?!

Like I said I'm not a Mac user but it does seem a little odd. Some thing to know about video files is that the container name such as .mov or .avi or .mpg can have a variety of different video formats inside.

BUT I'm not an expert in the mysterious art of codecs etc... The best way to really know whats inside the file such as codecs are needed etc it to use a program called Gspot.

The other thing about the different formats is that some are designed for "end use" ie playing the video eg .wmv .mov .mpg because of the compression of this type of file they are not best suited for editing but can be edited. An uncompressed .avi is often regarded as the best format for editing. But like I said I'm not an expert at all and others may disagree.

If you do need to change the format there are a number of conversion programs you can down load. I can't recommend a particular one as I'm not familiar with them.

Hope this confusing waffle helps in some way.

Hi,

I use a Mac, and I found Clip Wrap online which does a good job of converting my .MTS files into any format I wish. Check it out to see if it will work for you: ClipWrap

hi!
    i think the iskysoft video converter is what you need.

I had a similar problem very recently with an mpeg video. I could import it, but couldn't edit it because it wasn't rendered according to Final Cut Express HD.

After almost an hour of frustration at Final Cut Express, I realised I could import it into iMovie (free on Mac OSX) and then save that as a project and import it into Final Cut. iMove unlike Final Cut can render the video into a format Final Cut Express can handle. It worked a treat and saved me from having to buy any 3rd party converter or codec. I could then edit and preview without a problem or loss of quality.

Hope that helps

Matt