Thread: Isle of Wight

Default Isle of Wight

Hi MB,

Well I finally managed to export my first cut of the Isle of Wight video. This is just shots set to a backing track, but I intend to add narrative for the longer version that I am working on so it becomes more of a travel guide than a family holiday video :o)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7612dL8b5YQ]YouTube - The Isle of Wight[/ame]

Hey Mike, You must come from a stills back ground to frame shots like that not a zoom or a pan in sight. Glad you got it uploaded.

Blog Entries

Mike, I've cut your video out of MB's thread. Makes it easier to give feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Hey Mike, You must come from a stills back ground to frame shots like that not a zoom or a pan in sight. Glad you got it uploaded.

Hi MB,

Ha! Yes it is true that I have taken many photographs in my time, and not many videos. Trying to get better at video though, as I’d like this to be a hobby for life!

I find that when I manually try to pan or zoom I find the movement to jerky. I guess I’ll get better with practice, but while my movements are erratic would you not say I was better off with tripod shots with a still camera?

I am thinking that a good pan would add something to a video, but a bad one would probably detract from it - thoughts?

As I say, these are just some of the shots that I was happier with (there were many that I wasn’t happy with at all) set to a music track. I plan to edit this and a bit more into a travel taster of the wonderful Isle of Wight.

Cheers,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Mike, I've cut your video out of MB's thread. Makes it easier to give feedback.
    Thanks Mark, appreciate that!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTV View Post
    Hi MB,

Ha! Yes it is true that I have taken many photographs in my time, and not many videos. Trying to get better at video though, as I’d like this to be a hobby for life!

I find that when I manually try to pan or zoom I find the movement to jerky. I guess I’ll get better with practice, but while my movements are erratic would you not say I was better off with tripod shots with a still camera?
    I'm not really the right person to ask as I tend to go over the top with pans and zooms. You're right that the best thing to do is practise. It helps if you have a nice fluid head on top of the tripod.
    I am thinking that a good pan would add something to a video, but a bad one would probably detract from it - thoughts? I refer you to my previous answer.

As I say, these are just some of the shots that I was happier with (there were many that I wasn’t happy with at all) set to a music track. I plan to edit this and a bit more into a travel taster of the wonderful Isle of Wight.

Cheers,

Mike

Blog Entries

Nice video Mike. A good straighforward selection of memories of a location.
    It doesn't pretend to be anything else and what it does, it does well - rock steady shots, well framed, each having something to say (with the possible exception of a few too many shots of a woodland path where the vid seemed to lose it's direction and pace momentarily)

Makes me realise how absoute rubbish my own IOW family vids are (mind you, they're intended only for the family - I wouldn't dare post them here)

I liked that you included ambient sound of the sea at the beginning and end - possibly a few more ambient sounds here and there could add a bit of atmosphere?

I am thinking that a good pan would add something to a video, but a bad one would probably detract from it - thoughts?
    I've posted my views on this elsewhere in the forum. Once a newbie graduates beyond the initial errors of hosing and tromboning (waving the cammcorder around and zooming in and out) and starts to produce shots that he is actually proud to watch it's all too easy to fall into the trap of doing the things the way you see other people doing them.

This is not a bad way to learn, cliché shots are cliché for a reason.

However, all too often we take a shot without thinking why - and the common one here is when presented with a landscape we should pan.

Why?

In the days when everything was 4:3, the composition of a lanscape wasn't really very satisfactory and you either had a very long shot where everything is in the distance or a closer shot where you are left wondering what's left and right of the image, so a pan was the only way to get both detail and a sense of perspective. Now everything is 16:9 that isn't such an issue.

I'm not suggesting pans should not be used, simply that the pan, like all shots, should have a motivation.

As for doing a smooth pan:
    (1) do you have a vfluid head on your tripod and
    (2) are you aware of the "rubber band" trick where you attach an elastic band to your tripod handle and pull on that? This apparently smooths out some of the jerkiness caused by your arm.
    (3) always set up the final shot of the pan then pan backwards towards your starting shot. This way you are moving your body towards it's resting place.
    Tim

Tim thanks very much for your thoughts and tips. I also read your comments on MB's Holy Island thread, and found them interesting as I am about to add a voice over this Isle of Wight video - it was always planned to be longer and with a voice over, so that is the next step.

My tripod allows the camera to move forwards and backwards as well as to pan left and right, but I am not sure if that makes it a vfluid head?

I will definitely try the elastic band trick, that sounds interesting!

The most disappointing part of the whole video for me was that so many of my original shots were useless, because I didn't ensure that the camera was pointing straight at the horizon! Such a simple mistake, but the Isle of Wight is very hilly and clearly the tripod was on the piss as a result. I only realised when I loaded my clips onto the Mac back at home and saw boats on the horizon sailing uphill! :p

I really want to go back and start the filming process again, but the chances of me being able to find the time are slim in the near future. I just don't think I have enough quality shots to make the video I was dreaming of. Still, all part of the learning curve I guess and that is one more error that I'll never do again.

Anyway, thanks a million for your feedback I really do appreciate it.

Hi MB, yes you're the second person to mention the ole fluid head on the tripod thing in this thread, so I will investigate to see if a) I already have that and b) if not, which tripod I should upgrade to

God I love this video lark - I only wish the work and family life didn't restrict the time I had to concentrate on it :p