Thread: The cost of a sale?

Blog Entries

Default The cost of a sale?

Being ever so British, I'm always conscious of how much of peoples' time I take up in sales pitches. After all, if I decide not to go ahead, they lose out on a deal AND the cost of their time. Looking forward to my own wedding, I'm currently phoniing around and taking up the time of many different suppliers.

Do you guys, as professionals, factor this into pricing? I.e. do you consider that as you'll "win" (for example) 1 of every 10 quotes, you'll include the average "cost" of your time to your base price?

I can only speak from the point of my job which is outside the video industry. We set our rates at what the customers will pay so we can get the work. This is unfortunate if some cowboy comes along and slashes prices. We tend to just wait it out for them to disappear and the customer will eventually come to us.

This is very different from the old days where we would think of a number and double it because demand was so high.

Getting back to your point, if you do not factor in all costs which includes all staff time you are in fact running at a loss and will eventually go out of business.

The problem is Mark if you do actually factor everything in the cost becomes quite high, MB is right if I had to get someone else to do the work I would have to pay for that and so do you look uncompetitive or do it for free and hope to capture more of the market.

I do give a discount to the client if they book from as a referral and do not wish to go through the whole demo routine.

I am not that far from kent you know , the only problem is your probally looking for a pro...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    ...Do you guys, as professionals, factor this into pricing? I.e. do you consider that as you'll "win" (for example) 1 of every 10 quotes, you'll include the average "cost" of your time to your base price?

Nah..........

I wouldn't worry about it Marc.
    Personally, we book 9 out of 10 clients we see, though there are those who ask for demos, who are plainly competitors, and can't see any wrong doing in copying a winning style without any original input from themselves at all.
    These are the real timewasters.

Everyone should be proud of their products and happy to discuss every element of their services with you, this face to face meeting and the required quality is what makes you buy their product after.
    Good on you for taking the time to be selective. The more research you do, the better the end result.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club