Thread: shaking text effect

1. Default shaking text effect

I have searched for this but no luck and a slow internet connection have thwarted me.

What I'm looking for is some sort of 'add-on' as I don't think its practical with 'standard' Vegas MS 9.

A shaking text effect such as you may choose for earthquake footage if you get my drift.
    Any ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Grazie has been extremely exited recently about a plug-in "Mayhem" from VASST which makes this sort of thing a cinch. VASST - Mayhem

Alternatively ProDad Mercali - a plug-in for stabilizing footage (which I've never had much success with though others rave about) bundles something which does it in reverse - ie creates an earthquake type effect.

3. Default

Thanks for that Tim.
    I'm sure I'm being a bit dim here but after getting all excited about the free resources on this site I downloaded a bunch of different stuff to try, but nothing would open.
    So on this forum is a tutorial using VASST but I fell at the first hurdle because it instructs you to go to "TOOLS" then "SCRIPTING" which I don't have ( due to using MS?).
    The MAYHEM trial won't open in MS (requires PRO). So I'm a bit stumped at the moment and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Grazie's Twitchy Text!!

Yeah . . Only Pro has the Scripting Goodies . . but but but . . .

Knowing the power of VMS - having cut-me-teeth on VideoFactory (the start of VMS) - I had done this VF project just for youse!

Basically what I did was to get busy with the Pan/Crop and shake-it-about a bit.

I can:

A] Save Presets of an FX and reload and apply

B] I can twitch and rotate the Text

C] I can Ctrl squash the Event so that it accelerates.

D] I can Group various twitches together and just make a n awesome vibrating and gradually ever increasing twitch frequency . . applying a rumble (slap a mic onto your PC and make rumbling sounds with your mouth - I've done it) and you've got yourself a 9.8 on the Richter-Scale of earthquakes.

It is all possible. See my attached "Grazie Twitchy Text" - there's a VF file in it. It was made in VMS 4.0 so youse gotta be able to open it up.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Instead of Pan/Crop, you can also use "Placement" of the Text.

What you must realise is that as VMS doesn't keyframe an FX or PanCrop or whatever, you only get a Begin and End, you need to set up tiny Events of say 5 or 20 frames long - yes? Mind you, does your version allow for Keyframing? But Grouping and applying a Preset will get the donkey work outta the way. If you don't have KF-ing then you can still use my methodology - it works.

6. Default

Ha, thats it! Thanks for that Grazie. I think thats pretty much just what I wanted. Still a bit disappointed that with VMS I couldn't get my hands on the stuff from the VASST site. My version of VMS does have keyframing though, so thats something.
    Perhaps I should just stop being such a tight-wad and upgrade to Pro?? This scripting malarky seems pretty cool and I thought the trailer for "Mayhem" looked awsome.

Well, you can REALLY get going with Keyframes in a keyframed version VMS.

You can:

1] Select KFs as groups and apply interpolation commands: HOLD; SMOOTH; FAST . . etc . . - great for Earthquake stuff!

you can:

2] Select groups of KFs and hold down the CTRL key and Copy them .. - oh yes

you can . .

3] Select a Group and THEN spatially spread 'em equally by holding down the ALT Key and either Pull them out or squash 'em!

. . . lots to do here.