Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holy Island

Default Holy Island

This is a warning the video below may be disturbing to some people as it contains lots of slow pans etc. It also contains a really wet voice over and if that isn't bad enough it is very slow and long.

If you have a short or even medium attention span do not risk looking at the video.

On the other hand if you have 10 mins and need to really relax this may be just what you're looking for.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 11-27-2010 at 11:44 AM.

Hey MB, I was very interested in this video as I have recently visited a beautiful Island that I am planning to make a video for.

I went on holiday to the Isle of Wight two weeks ago and although I was pretty disappointed with the images I ended up with, I am hoping to edit together something that shows the real beauty on show there.

If I were to find some negative points I would say that the music was too much all the time - could there have been sections with music, sections with narrative and sections with natural audio - like seagulls and the waves washing to the shore for instance?

Overall I liked it though.

I liked the story of the photographer being on video - still image monger captured by the moving image - my wife is a keen photographer so maybe I could do something like that with her once the kids have grown up and given us a second to ourselves

I also felt like you captured the essence of a sleepy little fishing Island very well.

If I every work out how to export my initial Isle of Wight edit in under 1.75g I'll upload it so you can have a look if you like. An Island in the far north of the country versus one about as far south as you can go!

Good work!

3. Default

First class!
    I loved the way you scripted & arranged it & your commentary enhanced the film beautifully.
    I really liked the way you introduced the still photography into it.
    You certainly made me want to go there but I think I'd be disappointed when I went if I didnt find your soundtrack music playing across the island.
    In other words the music was sublimely right & created the perfect atmosphere.
    To be honest I only started to watch it because it was your work Midnight & certainly didnt expect to last the full 10 minutes. I'm really glad I did, I normally have a short attention span until something special usually involving a magic combination of sound & vision captures me completely.
    I had difficulty reading the text at the end.

Well done

Sarah

Thanks Mike, I hope you manage to get your vid sorted I'm always interested in seeing other peoples work. I liked the garden one that you did. I have to admit I made a big cock up with the live sound, I had the settings wrong and ended up with no live sound. Bringing the music in and out may help to add interest on this long and slow piece but I liked to music so much I just thought I'd play it all the way through, twice !

Thanks Sarah, I'm really not sure about the Voice over. It's the first time I've tried doing one as like most people, I hate the sound of my own voice. I think that I sound really naff and the commentary is really wet but I'm glad you liked it. As for the text at the end I know what you mean I struggled a bit with that. Do you think it's the font or the colour or both. If I made you feel like you would like to visit I have done my job.

5. Default

I agree most people embarrass themselves badly doing voiceovers, but your voice has a warm relaxed timbre which really suited the mood & pace of the film. A Northern island needed a northern accent like yours aswell.
    I really liked the voiceover.

I like the font but it looks like the blur you put on the background has also gone on the text?

Sarah

Yes, I think you might be right but I don't know why it would do that. Looking at it closely it looks like the areas where the background of the text is dark it has rendered Sharp but on the lighter background areas the text has rendered more blurry. I wonder if I made the text a little bigger it might fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Thanks Mike, I hope you manage to get your vid sorted
    You and me both man, but I am really struggling at the moment. Why is this stuff so difficult?

You just need to stick at it. I teach my self with a lot of trial and error, just take each mistake as a learning experience and you'll get there. You already have a good eye, which is the hardest thing the rest is just practise and asking for help on the forum.

That is excellent advice but I am so impatient though, and it makes it really difficult to keep spending an hour exporting a video that ends up being essentially crud.

I'll keep going. I ant to be able to make lovely video enough to overcome my impatience ... I hope!

:o)

Overall I thought it was very well executed and lovely.
    My only criticism, and its more of a personal taste thing, is a few too many zoom outs cut together.
    Possibly its because the objects/scenery are mainly inanimate and it reminds of those slide shows you can get on every computer that fly your family photos all over the screen. I would have spaced them out slightly more just to separate the few that were next to each other.
    I do like the attention you've paid to the photographers work as well, filming the area she's photographing so you can see her palette and the final result, it really shows off her talent as well as your own.
    Thumbs up from me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast