Thread: Upgrade PC from Quad to i3?

North Wales

Default Upgrade PC from Quad to i3?

I use SV Movie Studio on a dedicated PC running Win7 32bit , Core2 Quad 8200, 4Gb DDR2 memory. Rendering is still a long winded process.

Would an upgrade to Win7 64bit, i3 530 processor and 8Gb memory give a considerable reduction to rendering time? Or am I wasting my money?

As the i3 is only a twin core processor, I would have thought keeping your existing processor and changing the PC to a 64 bit system and doubling the ram would give you more bang for your buck! Just an opinion though.
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)

i agree with Ian.. keep your hardware and increase the ram, adding a 64bit OS. If you cut the number of cores in half, expect to have longer render times. If you really wanted to upgrade, go no less than a core i5 quad. (there are some dual core i5's) i7 would be best...

Surrey, UK
    Blog Entries

Ignore the advice above about increasing your RAM and upgrading to 64 bit Windows.
    Vegas Movie Studio variants are all 32-bit applications and as such, no matter what else you have in your machine, will only have access to 2GB (with another <2GB) available to the OS. 4GB RAM is what you need for what you're running.

Going to an i3 would mean a new mobo and if you're going to go for that I'd go for a quad core i5 (750/760). Upgrading to an i3 would be pointless and quite likely detrimental to render times.

Since the introduction of the i5-750, I've not been entirely convinced that the extra outlay for the i7-920 (inc additional cost for mobo) is really worth it - especially given the significantly greater power consumption (130W vs 95W)

What about the i7 980. I'm hoping this is going to blow the roof my new system.