Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Still Image Pan / Keyframes Jerky?

Question Still Image Pan / Keyframes Jerky?

Why is it I can never get a smooth steady pan across an image without it being jerky and appear to be jumping in a low frame rate? I'm rendering anywhere from 30fps-60fps.
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

Please explain further.
    Are you talking about (a) your original footage having the jerk,
    (b) the pan in the original footage, once edited and rendered, appearing jerky (where it didn't in the original) in which case please suppply details of original footage, project settings and render settings and any FX you've added
    (c) original footage which you have used Pan and Crop/Track motion to create a pan effect
    (d) something else?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Please explain further.
    Are you talking about (a) your original footage having the jerk,
    (b) the pan in the original footage, once edited and rendered, appearing jerky (where it didn't in the original) in which case please suppply details of original footage, project settings and render settings and any FX you've added
    (c) original footage which you have used Pan and Crop/Track motion to create a pan effect
    (d) something else?
    Like I said the original footage are STILL IMAGES (as in no pan still=no motion aka JPEG) when they are rendered into a time line regardless if there is video on the time line or not the final rendered product (no re=rendering) is jerky. Here's an example:

The images at the end of that video appear to not have a smooth pan to me ^

Are you setting one start point and one stop point. Thats the way to get the smoothest motion. I think your problem is more to do with render settings but I don't know what to do to correct it. I have a similar problem of my own so I'm interested to know how to overcome it myself.

Yes I use the track motion and select two key frames on each photo, usually one at the beginning and one at or toward the end for start and stop points. I think it IS a render setting becuase if I play it back like I don't know 10-15 times in Vegas it smoothens out and becomes smoother then the final render. I usually render in .m2ts Sony AVCHD 60fps (doesn't seem to effect the video that is originally 29.970) but for youtube 60fps I figured would help the image effects and text effects.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PinkFloydEffect View Post
    Like I said the original footage are STILL IMAGES
    Sorry, Pink, you did say that but in the subject, not in the text. I tend to read all the unread posts in this section and thus pay scant attention to the subject.

(as in no pan still=no motion aka JPEG) when they are rendered into a time line regardless if there is video on the time line or not the final rendered product (no re=rendering) is jerky.
    Sorry, I don't understand your comment about no rerendering. You have a JPEG on the timeline - you have to render it, no?

Anyway I gree it looks pretty naff. Have you tried this with Pan and Crop rather than Track Motion. I'm not convinced it will get rid of the jitters but it is the tool you should be using - see my other post where I compared zooming (which is what you're doing here) in P&C and TM.
    Tim

In stead of using Track Motion have you tried the Pan & Crop tool. Tim did an experiment the other day witched showed that using Pan & Crop will result in a better render on still images. I've no idea why but it just did. I'm not saying this will fix it for you but it might be worth a try.

Blog Entries

if I play it back like I don't know 10-15 times in Vegas it smoothens out and becomes smoother
    Hold on. If you play it througfh several times it gets better? This sounds like playing from the timeline in the preview screen. Yes it does get better, but this is NOT rendering, this is just Vegas getting better at the real-time preview
    (doesn't seem to effect the video that is originally 29.970)
    Hold on again. I thought the original was a jpeg? Which is it?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    In stead of using Track Motion have you tried the Pan & Crop tool. Tim did an experiment the other day witched showed that using Pan & Crop will result in a better render on still images. I've no idea why but it just did. I'm not saying this will fix it for you but it might be worth a try.
    My goof, I DO use pan/crop and I don't use track motion I had them backwards in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Hold on. If you play it througfh several times it gets better? This sounds like playing from the timeline in the preview screen. Yes it does get better, but this is NOT rendering, this is just Vegas getting better at the real-time preview

Hold on again. I thought the original was a jpeg? Which is it?

Yes I am referring to both, the attempt at realtime preview is smoother after several runs then the FINAL render in .m2ts

And the original images are JPEG yes, but SOMETIMES I have video on the timeline with those images, nothing changes.
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 08-22-2010 at 08:06 PM.

Angry

Once again horrible looking pans!
    Last edited by PinkFloydEffect; 01-03-2011 at 05:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast