Thread: Lots of cuts & jumps

Default Lots of cuts & jumps

I've seen this style of video in many popular shows. I don't think I got it quite perfect, but close enough for this video. It's where we see the action take place as if it were real time, but with many cuts and jumps in order to make the action appear faster than it would have if played normally. You know what I'm talking about? Anyway, that's what I tried to do with this. Let me know what you think.

Hi there,

Honestly, I found the audio distracting. It sounded like it was coming to my via a walkie talkie and it cut out after every jump in the action - was that your intention?

No, I certainly didn't intend for it to sound like a walkie talkie. Tried my best to clean the audio up, but I still need to work harder in that area.

Fair enough mate, I think that the visual part of it worked as you intended, it was just the audio that didn't.

Blog Entries

The video didn't seem particularly condensed. That sort of cutting is what we're used to seeing nowadays so from that point of view it worked.

As regards the audio, you've clearly recorded it with a fair amount of hiss. You've then tried to tidy it up, either by simply not putting any audio in the unspoken bits or, more likely (as it sounds like this) with a noise gate. This means that the low(er) level hiss between the spoken words become silence.

As there is no other sound, this has the effect of drawing attention to the hiss on the recorded sound rather than having the effect you are presumably trying to get.

For future reference, aside from the obvious getting a better recording setup/environment, try recording a long section of silence. This will give you just the hiss and any other ambient sound. Use this to fill the "gaps" between the speech and then there will be little or no difference between the "silent" parts and the spoken parts.

Alternatively, put a low volume music/ambient track under it. It's a bit dated to have music throughout but it can hide a multitude of sins.
    Tim

I would have never thought about recording silence and using it as a background. Thanks for the tip!