Thread: Seeking Advice

Question Seeking Advice

Hi all, I am a 25 year old freelance camera operator living in Norfolk, England, with 4 years part time industry experience. I have a true passion for both film and music and look to combine the two as often as possible.

I am hoping to find a production company that films music festivals, gigs and videos and to step up to full time asap.

I am fully prepared to move anywhere in the UK for this opportunity, although, London would of course be more convenient. I am also willing to start on an unpaid trial basis to prove myself worthy.

I own my own camera, tripod and editing equipment and am ready to enter this 100% but I am unsure of how to get into this field. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Trevor

anybody? literally any help would be appreciated. Even if it's just a 'this is the wrong place to be asking this. try here instead' reply.

Cheers

Theres not much help anyone can give you on that one. Its purely down to you, along with the classic cliché 'its not what you know, its who you know'.
    Just sort yourself out with a showreel and CV then go and trawl the internet for jobs. Find out if theres any production companies nearby and start knocking on their door persistently.
    Work for free if nothing else and build up a network of contacts, at some point someone might decide to pay you.

fuzzymuffin is pretty much spot on, especially in this day and age. Doorknocking is the way to go!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

Hi Trev, what camera do you have? We are shooting a gig in a few weeks and maybe could use a second cameraman but the other camera will be a Canon 5D so we need to match this quality.

martchap - That sounds great. I actually just bought a Canon 550D a few weeks ago so the footage should cut together perfectly. The camera truly is amazing. I had a Sony FX1 before this and the difference in quality is unbelievable.

If you could email me at zombie_trev@msn.com with details of the shoot then I can reply with my CV and what not and go from there?

Cheers. Trevor