Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you use You Tube ...

Blog Entries

Default How do you use You Tube ...

... by which I mean, "for what purpose?", or "why do you publish your work on Youtube?"

I've been prompted to ask by Rollingstocks recent posts (welcome back Rollingstock) in which he's advising against stripping in a title into a YT vid as it's a waste of time - especially (if I'm understanding this correctly) a waste of some of that critical first 10 seconds.

This is no doubt good advice - for those whose objective to to get as many views as possible - but I wonder how many here actually have that as an objective.

I don't make videos for YouTube.

I use YouTube simply as a convenient way to show my films to people I know, normally by invitation of some sort.

"Invitation" may take different forms: requesting people on DD to criticise or comment; giving members of my video club and opportunity to view them again; via links from our club's website so that those interested can see samples of our work; from other organisations websites (for example the website for Sunbury Regatta links to my film film of it) and just invitations I send out via email.

Yes it's nice to get additional vews, but that's not an objective.

I just wondered how the othere here use it.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I probably abuse Youtube more than use it.

By that I mean I use it as a free way of showing videos to mates. I couldn't care less about the number of hits, or how many people subscribe to my videos. I certainly don't use it as any form of "advertising" my skills.

So, same as Tim, I'm not interested in "capturing" the clicker who just hops in and decides in the first few seconds, whether to watch the whole film or not. It's for those who know me to have a look at a bit of fun.

Blog Entries

By YouTube, I'll assume you mean any video sharing site Tim? I use Vimeo to share my videos by invitation. Like you, if they get wider views, then that's great. But primarily video sharing, for me, is any easy way to share amongst friends, or get feedback from people I know. My objective certainly isn't maximum exposure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    By YouTube, I'll assume you mean any video sharing site Tim?
    Actually not I originally typed "YouTube, Vimeo or other sharing sites," but I thought that might detract a little as Rollingstock's advice is specifically aimed at getting more hits on YouTube, so YouTube users were my specific target.

Having said that, I am equally interested in how people use the other sites. I use Vimeo for sharing password protected videos - usually work in progress that I want to share with another club member.
    Tim

Well, I use youtube just for fun. Most of what I do would not sit well on youtube, and mostly, it's too long anyway. I've done a couple of bits with the kids (Grandchilden) and its nice for them if it gets a few hits, but otherwise most stuff I do goes out on DVD.
    One item I put on there last year jogged along at a couple of hits a day for three or four months, then started getting more popular, with up to 50 a day (mainly around 30). It will have been there a year next week and has just hit 7000 views. That is not normal though!
    I have six honest, serving men. They taught me all I knew.
    Their names are What and Why and When. And How and Where and Who! (Rudyard Kipling)
    http://www.sharpmedia.org.uk

I to just use it for adding movies to this forum or showing friends etc. I have also used them to put on my website. Which is a useful free service. If I get into 3 figures in the lifetime of one of my movies I will be surprised but not bothered. For example I went to Holy Island this weekend and shot a few bit and bobs so I'll probably bore you all with it when I've stitched it together.

I use YouTube because it is a convenient (and free) place to put my videos where they can be accessed by friends and strangers alike, on a global basis. I could care less about the social networking features. I mean, who in their right mind would want to socialize with people preoccupied with making skateboard and light saber videos.

Blog Entries

Interesting thread.

I use YT for many and various. As opposed to Rob, I've just added a video with the specific purpose of advertising. I also use it because it embeds easily into Facebook, and also because it embeds in webpages without draining my bandwith and with no issues such as getting WMP to work properly in Firefox and so on.

9. Default

I use it for the TV shows for people who dont have the Sattalite channel it goes out on, and its been made even easier now they let you have 15 minutes, as TV shows are usually split into 4 12 minute parts

And its free, so i dont have to spend more money for an 'on demand' player for my website, or charge people to view, so its good all round

Very interesting point.

Its a great way if you want to find out what the world thinks of your editing work. Like I do.

It all started for me when I transferred my deteriorating VHS Tapes to DVD.

Then I thought what the heck, stick the whole lot on Youtube and experiment with SEO. Its amazing to think the tapes have been in a box for over twenty years. Gone from my computer down a Telephone wire and they are watched all over the world.

The WW2 Aircraft wrecks Devon has Knocked up just under 20,000 views in less than two years.
    And the superimposed railway film (Also Posted on this forum) Has maintained a viewer interest rate of upto 98% That's viewers who watch it all the way through. Yes I do use Youtube with the idea of obtaining feedback and results to learn from. Great fun. Well Done Youtube! Brilliant Idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast