Thread: Outsourcing motion graphics work. Opinion needed.

Default Outsourcing motion graphics work. Opinion needed.

So I work for a company in US that helps make well done web videos affordable to small businesses.
    We are not a production house, we rather do pre-preproduction and then FCP editing and motion graphics work is done by our network of editors. Since we don't charge much (hence, that is how we make it affordable for small businesses), we use very strict guidelines to our clients, so editors don't have to do endless reviews etc. and can get done with an average 5 minute video (out of 40min raw) in 4 hours or so. For the motion graphics stuff we also try to keep it simple for both sides.

Issue in US I am facing is that there is a lack of good motion graphics people without really outrageous demands (well... they work for big studios, so they are not "hungry"). Some of the more junior folks are just not reliable (apparently concept of agreed-upon deadlines is foreign to them). So I am looking across the pond. We have worked with Asia before, but cultural differences simply make the projects unworkable. We just must work with English-speaking freelancers or it does not work.

So my question: how do I go about finding couple of people in the UK? I am looking for those with 3-5 years of motion graphics stuff.

Either reply to this thread or PM me with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm a freelance motion graphic designer based in Australia. What kind of hourly rate can you offer? To see my work visit Graphic Armada | Portfolio.

Thanks,

Grant

Post B2Reel.com

Quote Originally Posted by agurkas View Post
    So I work for a company in US that helps make well done web videos affordable to small businesses.
    We are not a production house, we rather do pre-preproduction and then FCP editing and motion graphics work is done by our network of editors. Since we don't charge much (hence, that is how we make it affordable for small businesses), we use very strict guidelines to our clients, so editors don't have to do endless reviews etc. and can get done with an average 5 minute video (out of 40min raw) in 4 hours or so. For the motion graphics stuff we also try to keep it simple for both sides.

Issue in US I am facing is that there is a lack of good motion graphics people without really outrageous demands (well... they work for big studios, so they are not "hungry"). Some of the more junior folks are just not reliable (apparently concept of agreed-upon deadlines is foreign to them). So I am looking across the pond. We have worked with Asia before, but cultural differences simply make the projects unworkable. We just must work with English-speaking freelancers or it does not work.

So my question: how do I go about finding couple of people in the UK? I am looking for those with 3-5 years of motion graphics stuff.

Either reply to this thread or PM me with your thoughts.

Thanks!

Hey,

check out B2Reel.com!

It helps you find the right person(s) for your project very easy.
    Many talented motion designers of europe and many other countries are there waiting to get hired.

cheers,
    Chris

Don't worry, I'm not going to spam you with my reel.

Disclaimer: I'm in the US, but I was not offended by your post, so this is not butthurt.

Unreliable freelancers abound everywhere. Looking across the pond won't help you.

You have to carefully screen freelancers, and the real professionals will want to screen YOU as well.

For instance, I have my bigger/longer term clients fill out a brief questionnaire before I agree to work with them. If I don't like any of the answers, I don't proceed.

Have pointed questions for your potential freelancer, and if they can't answer any of them, move on. Plenty of other fish in the sea.

Also, you can't really expect freelancers to be flexible with their pricing. They have to pay the mortgage, car payment, etc just like everyone else.

If you have a low budget try Elance. You may get lucky and find someone just starting out who can produce good work.
    Last edited by momotiongraphics; 12-04-2012 at 09:30 AM.