Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remastered an old video of a tree

Default Remastered an old video of a tree

I did an lady a favor online and remastered a video she took of a tree this was her version: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9c5dsBS_Q]YouTube - ‪Ancient Elm Tree Stump‬‎[/ame]

And this is mine: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFEQmp0obHY]YouTube - ‪Ancient Elm Tree Stump (remastered)‬‎[/ame]
    Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

Well, you started off with seven minutes of boring, wobbly footage of a tree stump and ended up with three minutes of boring, wobbly footage of a tree stump.

There's a saying in editing "you can't polish a turd".

i quite liked the choice of music...classic
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstock View Post
    i quite liked the choice of music...classic
    Indeed. But have ten year's gone since the making of the first video?
    And you're lucky Peter Grant died a few years back. He did not take at all kindly to people using his band's music without permission. He might have come round and sat on you.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    He might have come round and sat on you.
    He was a big chap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Well, you started off with seven minutes of boring, wobbly footage of a tree stump and ended up with three minutes of boring, wobbly footage of a tree stump.

There's a saying in editing "you can't polish a turd".
    You obviously don't understand the significances of it than, it's like giving a kid in Africa a Gameboy, he wouldn't know what to do with it. You just don't have what it takes to appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Indeed. But have ten year's gone since the making of the first video?
    And you're lucky Peter Grant died a few years back. He did not take at all kindly to people using his band's music without permission. He might have come round and sat on you.
    Well the video was taken in 2003 but the tree had to have been dead at least 10 years. I do feel a little bad about the copyright, it's hard not to break that law these days but I try to be creative it's just the only thing that came to mind.

Blog Entries

Maybe you're right. I obviously don't have what's needed to appreciate dead wood.

You'll notice that all the other comments have been about the music. FYI they're being polite. This isn't a music appreciation society but a forum about videomaking. So, to get back to the video... The footage is awful. Poorly filmed, badly composed, auto-exposure all over the place. Boring footage of a dead tree. Also the footage has been edited with no attempt made to fit it to the rhythm or feeling of the music.

All in all it's not good.

I defy anyone to watch this (without the music, which is how you assess a video's worth) and find it in any way interesting after thirty seconds.

Edit: More to the point how could you do that to Peter Grant?
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 08-12-2010 at 07:32 AM.

Blog Entries

PinkFloydEffect - I'm keen to know how you think you've improved the film? I assume you must believe you've brought something to it for you to post it?

Seriously - it's only fit for the recycle bin. (Music aside which doesn't count).

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    Maybe you're right. I obviously don't have what's needed to appreciate dead wood.

You'll notice that all the other comments have been about the music. FYI they're being polite. This isn't a music appreciation society but a forum about videomaking. So, to get back to the video... The footage is awful. Poorly filmed, badly composed, auto-exposure all over the place. Boring footage of a dead tree. Also the footage has been edited with no attempt made to fit it to the rhythm or feeling of the music.

All in all it's not good.

I defy anyone to watch this (without the music, which is how you assess a video's worth) and find it in any way interesting after thirty seconds.

Edit: More to the point how could you do that to Peter Grant?
    It was taken in 2003 by some lady, ...but OK there guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    PinkFloydEffect - I'm keen to know how you think you've improved the film? I assume you must believe you've brought something to it for you to post it?

Seriously - it's only fit for the recycle bin. (Music aside which doesn't count).
    Color correction, higher quality photos, the video was not converted from MOV to AVI before the time-line then rendered into an MP4 like she did.... I shorted the length.... etc?

Personally, I like seeing old trees.
    The camera shake is, to me, the most upsetting aspect of the clip. Software such as AfterEffects has a neat way of reducing the jerks; and would certainly make the scenes more dramatic.
    Does any such part of your current software manage this? I suspect trees are hard to film with a handheld, moving camera, because the ground around them is often uneven. A shame, because a moving camera seems a useful tool for displaying a complex 3d object (such as a montionless tree).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast