Thread: Can you transition-mask a clip like he did in this video with Sony Vegas?

Default Can you transition-mask a clip like he did in this video with Sony Vegas?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SU9apTlvsQ&feature=related"]YouTube - ‪BFBC2 Montage - Saboteur By ekawa‬‎[/ame]

This person adds transition masking throughout his whole video, and it looks amazing. What I'm asking is if you can do the scenes at 1:15, 1:29, 2:00 and 2:10 with Sony Vegas, and if so, how do you do it? Thank you very much.

I'm not a beginner with SV, so you can tell me some advanced vocabulary and I'll either know about it or find out. I use Sony Vegas Pro 9.
    Last edited by Personality; 08-11-2010 at 04:39 AM.

I presently don't see a problem with any of that being done in Vegas but to be EXACTLY sure we are on the "same-page" please write out here what those exact elements you are referring to? Otherwise I for one could be second guessing what it is you are after.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I presently don't see a problem with any of that being done in Vegas but to be EXACTLY sure we are on the "same-page" please write out here what those exact elements you are referring to? Otherwise I for one could be second guessing what it is you are after.
    I think I might know what it is now, just asking here just in case.

It's where parts of the picture in the video fly out of the screen or fly into the screen, making an effective transition.

In essence, what I'd do is to split a video and have it rejoin itself. There are many Vegas Transitions that are off-the-shelf, but I'm guessing you know this, however you are implying you wish to roll-yer-own here? Yes? . . . ok:

1] Track 1 Left hand side of VideoA created by Masking the right-hand portion and leaving Mask Positive

2] Track 2 Right hand side of VideoA and leaving Mask Negative

3] Track 3 will be VideoB - that is the one being covered-up or revealed

OK . . . you should now have the Left and Right portions of VideoA. Go to Track Motion or use Pan/Crop and have the 2 portions of VideoA either spread apart or collide together.

This is the fundamentals of that which you are asking. I hope I have assisted.

The trouble I'm having with what you have posted is that there are many many creative solutions being shown - I don't know just which one you are referring to. Hopefully, and in my hamfisted-way, I have both indicated to you a solution and at the same time have kinda demonstrated that I've got a grip on transitions and masks?

Blog Entries

I suspect Grazie's identified the transitions you're asking about. Here are a couple of tuts.

Custom Transition Using Still Image | VegasVideoHelp.com (Tutorials)

I think you'll like this one:
    www.Darbeel.com - Mask Transition Vegas Tutorial
    Tim

Thank you guys VERY much for helping! Editing a new montage myself now.