Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini DV playback problem

Default Mini DV playback problem

Hello,

I have lots of tapes shot on mini DV (all Sony) and I want to capture them with my computer.
    I am using a Sony DS 11. The problem is, those tapes have not been played for quite some time. When ever I hit playback, they play for 10-20 sec and then they stop.
    After maybe 15-30 sec they continue.
    I have some soundrecording on those tapes too (concerts).
    But some tapes play normal. So it can not be the VTR.
    Is there any way to make them run 1 x continuous? That is all I need to capture the video data. I tried to fast forward and rewind the tapes many times, but still the same problem.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Dorian

Tokyo

Try forward winding the tape to the end and then fully rewinding it to the beginning before you try and play it. It sometimes helps to release a sticky mechanism.

Thank you. I tried that many times (as I mentioned it in my first post. ) But I was able to isolate the problem.... it is not the VTR, it is not the tape....it is the computer! I was using my MAC Pro and Final Cut for capture. When I tried the same tape on my PC with Edius installed, the tape went through without even stopping once!

With that sort of problem I usually suspect that there are programs running in the background. BUT for it to stop for 15 seconds and then start up again as you described sounds more like a communication problem due to a hardware fault. Possible socket or lead problem ?

Sorry I can't be more help with this.

Blog Entries

Does this problem only occur when capturing or even when just playing back?

Were these tapes filmed on this camera?

Can you try playing the tapes in another camera (beg, steal, borrow)?

If capture problems only - have you tried another computer?

If all playback is a problem, I suspect it may be a problem with the camera recognising/interpreting the timecode.
    Tim

It is not a camera, it is a VTR. Sony DSR-11. The camera I sold many years ago.
    I don't need to beg/borrow/steal an other camera, it shows very clearly, when I connect the VTR to my PC and capture with Edius, I can capture the whole tape (60 min) without stopping 1x. (As I mentioned in my above post

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwcdv View Post
    tape (60 min) without stopping 1x. (As I mentioned in my above post
    oops!

Nevertheless it could still be this particular combination of things (VTR/Mac/Cable/Software) which is causing the problem and so using a camera might be a way ahead.

Still, if you can successfully capture to the PC, the simples solution would be to transfer the captured files.
    Tim

Yes, that is what I am doing now.... but capture on PC means .avi files which seem to be very hard to translate into .mov files.
    And besides, I have much more storage for the Mac than the PC.
    But the biggest problem I find is, that none of my .PC captured files can be read by any of my Mac programs

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dwcdv View Post
    Yes, that is what I am doing now.... but capture on PC means .avi files which seem to be very hard to translate into .mov files.
    OK, I'm a little lost here. When you capture a file from a standard def camera, you capture and avi file, whether on a Mac or a PC - or am I wrong here?
    Tim

check the frame rate settings match on your camera and whatever programme your using to suck em in.
    also PAL/NTSC on camera and programme.

For FCP frame rate and stuff is in easy setup.
    dunno where the details would be in the vtr would be though.
    I've had this happen in my early days using borrowed cameras for capture with settings all over the place.
    Last edited by fuzzymuffin; 08-17-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast