Thread: Vegas Pro 9.0 very laggy on a very fast, very powerful computer

1. Default Vegas Pro 9.0 very laggy on a very fast, very powerful computer

I have a Dell laptop that has 8 GB of RAM and 1,000 GB of storage space, and Vegas is running slower than I expected it would on this monster of a notebook.

One video in particular I'm working on is starting to frustrate because I've had to break it down into literally at LEAST 10 different projects because Vegas just totally stops working (i.e., "Not Responding" mode when I open it and try to do ANYTHING in Vegas) once the file size of the project gets higher than around 150 KBs, which is ridiculous IMO, because I used to have projects 450 KBs and bigger working fine on my last computer.

Now admittedly, I have somehow eaten up almost all of my storage space (save about 5.5 GB-- don't ask how I took up 995 GB of space without even trying), but I don't think Vegas should be running this slowly-- my computer also degrags automatically once a week FTR.

Anyways, say if I open a 150 KB project with 20-25 short (3-5 second) video events, the program lags for about 5-7 seconds if I go from one program to Vegas (for example, surfing the internet in Firefox, and then open the Vegas project).

It's all making this process far more arduous and nerve-wracking than it should be. I've thought about taking my computer to a repair shop to have it looked at (in all honesty, I probably don't take good care of it-- mostly by leaving it on almost all the time. I know it's not good, but I've had this habit for a while), but do you guys have any suggestions in the meantime?
    Last edited by Ray AP19; 08-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.

Try clearing out some of the junk on your hard disk. Once a HD has less than 20% free space it works much less efficiently. AND then do a defrag.

3. Default

Okay, thanks. I'll give that a shot. Do you think I've done any irreparable damage to its level of efficiency by leaving it on all the time, though?

I don't think so except may be the battery won't be happy about that.

Blog Entries

Most laptops (certainly all the Dells I've come across) will let you run without the battery in. I always advise removing the battery unless there's a need to recharge it when running from the mains to avoid the constant trickle charge which kills a battery's life.
    Tim

That's a hand tip Tim.

7. Default

Thanks, but I don't think it'd be wise for me to operate without a battery, since I'm constantly unplugging my laptop, whether intentionally or unintentionally. But I may try it anyways.

Also, about cleaning up my hard drive, how sure are you that this will help with performance? Because to do so, I'd probably have to pay for either an external hard drive or a membership for a mass storage website, neither of which is cheap.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray AP19 View Post
    Also, about cleaning up my hard drive, how sure are you that this will help with performance? Because to do so, I'd probably have to pay for either an external hard drive or a membership for a mass storage website, neither of which is cheap.
    Irrespective of clearing the hard drive, if your footage only exists on your loaptop's hard drive, you're living on borrowed time.
    Get an external hard drive and back that video up now!
    (Of course, if you're using MiniDV or HDV or any of the "pro" tape formats this is not an issue, unless you re-use the tapes)

I would expect clearing up your hard drive and defragging will make s difference.

Also, irrespective of the power of your laptop, you almost certainly have only one drive which means O/S, programs and data are all competing for access and I suspect strongly the drive is only 5400rpm, as most laptop drives are.

Unlike many other NLEs, Vegas creates its previews on the fly. Other NLEs render the edits as you go, which makes playback smoother. The Vegas method means you can get on with editing without waiting for renders - both methods have their advantages.

Fortunately Vegas offers the best of both worlds. Simply select a section, a particularly laggy bit andselect Tools | Pre-render video (from memory) Shift-M I think.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 08-10-2010 at 08:50 AM.
    Tim

9. Default

Just out of curiosity, what kind of limitations do you guys find yourselves going through with Vegas? Would one of you guys mind opening your biggest Vegas file and telling me how long it takes to open and whatnot?

I have a file that's 147 KBs and roughly 100-120 events (only one longer than 5-6 seconds). It takes like 3 minutes to open and lags for about 10 seconds when I go from another program to Vegas. Seems ridiculous.