Thread: Final Cut Express 4 - CANON 550D

Default Final Cut Express 4 - CANON 550D

Yo!

I've just borrowed a Canon 550D. When I import my videofiles to Final Cut Express 4 - I have to render all the time. As far as I can see Full HD-video is not supported in FCE4 - can I download a patch? Or do I have to convert?

It is possible to cut - but frustrating to render all time!

What can I do?

BTW: I can easily watch the clips in FCE with no problems - the problem only occurs, when I play the whole sequence. That's the reason that tells me, that my problem can be fixed! HELP!
    Last edited by johanask; 08-08-2010 at 04:46 AM.

One of two things seems to be happening. As I've never used the footage from a DSLR in FCE I'm only guessing here.

Either you've not updated your FCE and it hasn't got the latest update to work with AVCHD properly or you have a mismatch on the import footage and the timeline.

I suppose both could be right! Thanks!

Sollutions?
    1. Go download the updates!
    2. Choose the right things! - can you be a bit for specific?? I'm not very technical on this stuff. I suppose you talk about settings in "EASY SETUP" - in there I can choose a lot of different things on what kind of files I will to editing - but I thing that it is only all kinds of HDV - some different PAL and NTSC-settings and stuff. No possibility to choose full HD or anything else.

So GO UPDATE - And pick the right! I suppose! Am I thinking something wrong here??

I've just read something at apples homepage, here:
    Apple - Final Cut Express

It tells I need Mac OS 10.5 to use
    AVCHD. I have only 10.4. It also tells me to use log and transfer - when I try too - FCE refuses to open the mov-files. This might be problem? I suppose it's not free to upgrade to 10.5???

Yes, it's free.

Simply log on to Apple.com and follow the instructions.

That will sort out a whole bunch of your problems. Macs aren't like windows PCs, you don't need to think "it's working, I won't update in case it goes wrong." just keep your software updated and you'll find that it'll work.

Smile

I've been encountering this very same problem, and have finally sat down for the past hour to try and fix it.
    I looked all over Google for the answer, and only after I just tried it all myself did I finally find how to sort it.

> I'm running Apple OS X 10.6.6
    This shouldn't make much difference, but it's always best to update everything.
    Go to: Apple Icon (top left) > Software Update...

> I'm running Final Cut Express 4
    There are more options for those with Final Cut Pro, and possibly different options for those with higher versions.

> My Footage
    13 files
    All .MOV
    All 1920 x 1080 (1080p HD)

> Final Cut Setup
    Final Cut Express 4 only has a few options for HD in its timeline. Allowing 25fps 1080p footage is not one of them.
    It does however allow 25fps 720p footage.

Go to: Final Cut Express > Easy Setup...
    Select: Format > HD
    Select: Rate > 25.00fps
    Select: Use > HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 720p25

When you create a new sequence, right click it and select 'Load Sequence Preset' in the bottom left of the popup window. Ensure that the 'HDV-Apple Intermediate Codec 720p25' setting is selected from the dropdown menu.

If you drop your clips into the timeline now, they'll still need rendering. That's because Final Cut is using 'Apple Intermediate Codec' instead of the 'H.264, Linear PCM' codec in your current .MOV files.

> Converting Your Files
    Search for 'Quicktime Player 7' on your mac. If you don't have it, which you should, then download it for free.
    It's important to use Quicktime Player 7, not Quicktime Player 10 that will also be on your mac. 7 allows you to compress your video.

Drag your first file into Quicktime Player 7.
    Go to: File > Export...

Select: Export > Movie to Quicktime Movie.
    Click the 'Options...' button.

Click the 'Settings...' button on the new popup.
    Select: Compression Type > Apple Intermediate Codec.
    Select: Preset > HDV 720p.
    Changing the Frame Rate won't make much difference, so don't worry about it.
    Click OK.

Click on the 'Size...' button.
    Select: Dimensions > 1280 x 720 HD.
    Click OK.
    Click OK.
    Choose the new file name, and click Save.

When this file has finished exporting, repeat the process with all your files.
    When you drag these new files into the Final Cut timeline you set up, they will not need rendering.
    This is because the dimensions and compressor type now match Final Cut's.

> Lesson to be Learnt
    Shoot in 720p and 25fps when possible. On the Canon 550D, you can either shoot in 1920x1080 at 25fps or 1280x720 at 50fps.
    When using the Canon 550D, shoot in 1920x1080, 25fps.
    You can always reduce the resolution later, but changing the frame rate will become a nightmare, unless you're using 50fps for slow motion.

It's the compressor type that is important here. If you need to, always convert the files you have to match with 'Apple Intermediate Codec' to avoid a lot of rendering later on in the editing process.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by BritishEye; 03-14-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johanask View Post
    I've just read something at apples homepage, here:
    Apple - Final Cut Express

It tells I need Mac OS 10.5 to use
    AVCHD. I have only 10.4. It also tells me to use log and transfer - when I try too - FCE refuses to open the mov-files. This might be problem? I suppose it's not free to upgrade to 10.5???
    I'm pretty sure the Canon 55D uses the H.264 codec not AVCHD. I've heard that H.264 isn't a great codec to use for editing on Final Cut which might be your problem. Try converting it to something like the Apple Intermediate codec or Pro Res, that might make editing a little easier for you. I use Mpeg Streamclip to convert my footage, it's a free download and works great for me.

I just realised this is quite an old thread! Hopefully you've sorted your problems out by now!

Hi Martchap,
    thanks for the message. This is what I explained in my last post, and how to do it.
    It's quite an old thread, but it popped up as number one on Google when I was looking for answers to the problem, and it's the highest viewed thread on this board I think.