Thread: [QUESTION] Make a movie look like a video game?

Question [QUESTION] Make a movie look like a video game?

Hello everyone,
    I'm quite new at movie editting and I'd like to make a cool movie as a tryout for a small clip..
    Here's what I'd like to do:
    - What I have: I've been filming a small shot in my garden, just a random shot.
    - What I want: I'd like to make my shot look like a video game, so it needs to look like I've been creating it on a computer with some kind of 3D creation program.

I don't even know wether this is possible but I would just like to know if it's possible and if so, how..

Greetz and thanks in advance, Jojo

I doubt there are any easy or cheap plugins for any of the leading Video editing applications. I shall be interested if you find anything. But, if you don't mind waiting a decade, then I am sure such software will have become more common.

It can be done, but the technique requires software to interpret video clips into 3d models which can then be stored as vector polygons. At that point, standard 3d modelling software can also be used to adjust the objects; such as adding a gun to the character or making them jump impossible distances; or simply to blow up!

Whilst only vapourware, this demonstation of VideoTrace may be interesting.

To get a practical insight into some of the complexities, I recommend the (free, but baffling to use!) "Voodoo Camera Tracker".

To get an easy feel of how complex your clips are, I would play with the free 'cartoon' plugin (for Adobe and Vegas) . It won't help with 3d, but may be interesting to consider when learning how to compose and light video for some future conversion to 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    I doubt there are any easy or cheap plugins for any of the leading Video editing applications. I shall be interested if you find anything. But, if you don't mind waiting a decade, then I am sure such software will have become more common.

It can be done, but the technique requires software to interpret video clips into 3d models which can then be stored as vector polygons. At that point, standard 3d modelling software can also be used to adjust the objects; such as adding a gun to the character or making them jump impossible distances; or simply to blow up!

Whilst only vapourware, this demonstation of VideoTrace may be interesting.

To get a practical insight into some of the complexities, I recommend the (free, but baffling to use!) "Voodoo Camera Tracker".

To get an easy feel of how complex your clips are, I would play with the free 'cartoon' plugin (for Adobe and Vegas) . It won't help with 3d, but may be interesting to consider when learning how to compose and light video for some future conversion to 3d.
    Thank you very much for providing me this information.
    I am very interested in VideoTrace, allthough it's still in Bta phase, I'll be looking after this when it will be published.

Greetings, Jojo