Thread: OT - Virgin Media Broadband/TV/Phone (UK)

Blog Entries

Default OT - Virgin Media Broadband/TV/Phone (UK)

As I'm suffering a current outage on my phone line which has been down since Thursday morning ( analogue only - fortunately the ADSL is OK) I started re-evaluating the whole broadband/phone/TV business.

I'm considering cable and Virgin - in particular the 20Mb broadband, phone bundle with free uk eve/weekend, "basic" TV package with the V+HD box. This, when I include the 11.99pm for the Virgin phone line, works out at a bit less than I'm currently paying annuallyu for phone & 8Mbps broadband.

Anyone any experiences - good/bad/indifferent with Virgin Media? I'd appreciate your comments.
    Tim

I wish I could get Virgin Cable but for some reason they stopped laying the cable 200 yards away from my house. Anybody would think they didn't want my business.

Blog Entries

Just a follow up to say this all went pretty well and my fears of being left without any internet connection and/or phones for days on end were unfounded.

Enginners were due to install between 8am and 1pm. They arrived at 12.20 which did not bode well.

However, they were polite, tidy and knowledgeable. There was a hiccup at the exchange identifying our phone line which took a bit of sorting out, but the whole job was completed by 3.30.

Everything works and I'm getting download speeds of 18-19Mbps and upload of around 720K.
    Tim

Always my worry as I work on home and rely on the tinternet to communicate

I would suggest looking at one of those phones with all you can eat interned (T-mobile)and you can normally tether that to your PC and get back online while there is the outage.

I pay 20 for my Android phone (HTC Hero)and use that to collect mails and things and use it on my net-book when out and about.

OR if the neighbours are amenable and have wifi ask if you can borrow that while yours is out..

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Everything works and I'm getting download speeds of 18-19Mbps and upload of around 720K.
    Thats really good speed Tim.