Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hilarious sketch about omnipresence!

Talking Hilarious sketch about omnipresence!

Hey everyone, I made this wonderful satire about the problems with omnipresent beings please check it out, and if you like it please share it, I could use the help...

The Roommate from ThirdStringKicker - Video

Also let me know what you think of it.

IMHO...
    Hilarious? No.
    Satirical? I don't think so.
    Slightly amusing in one or two places? Yes.
    Interesting to note how JC remains an easy target whist a similar clip using Mohammed could induce a fatwah.

May be a bit harsh Tim. I thought it was a well put together, well acted video. The sound was recorded well in that yo could clearly hear the dialogue.

It's not side splitting funny but it did have some good comedy moments.

I would have been pleased to have made it.

Blog Entries

I would agree with Tim. (And calling your own work "wonderful" and "hilarious" is bound to invite a sterner critique.) I couldn't comment technically, but the pacing was too slow and the joke laboured for what was essentially one "gag". Don't get me wrong, it was good to watch and funny in places, but it certainly wasn't wonderful and hilarious.

For something that lasted 4 minutes, I would expect a some kind of twist at the end. Maybe it's a British thing, but I'm used to these kind of shorts being, well, shorter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thirdstringkicker View Post
    Hey everyone, I made this wonderful satire.
    And it's quite funny. I thought it was pretty well made. Sound was clear and the acting was better than most stuff like this.

I did think lighting an issue though. Kinda dull and unflattering - particularly to the woman.

Blog Entries

Wow. Unusual to get such differing views from regulars whose opinions I trust. Just shows how you can't please all the people.

1. If I hadn't read the reviews first I would definitely have given this a miss - simply for the reason Marc pointed out: anyone who describes their work as wonderful and hilarious has already made up their mind about their film and is not going to pay any attention to any criticism, so why should I bother?

2. I did think it was well shot and edited. Agree with Andy about the lighting.

3. I thought the script manages to introduce different aspects of the "one gag" and thus keep the amusement coming (at least for me)

4. Pacing is difficult. For a bloke watching on a PC his own, yes it's slow, but if you were watching among a group of people (ie in a cinema) it probably needs to be that slow to give time for people to laugh/snigger which they are more inclined to do in a group.

5. Acting was natural and believable from all three.
    Tim

Okay, guys, I actually appreciate the feedback believe it or not. I'll try to address everything, but I'm actually pressed for time.

First, if you didn't think it was funny as an idea there isn't much I can do to convince you. You either find something funny or you don't. So yeah... But that could have something to do with pacing, if you didn't think it was funny then of course it's going to seem long.

There is a reason why it's one joke (or I don't think one joke one main idea). In something this short having too many ideas would just scatter the main point which does want to be stressed and played with. And I think we do have some fun with it. Plus its a scene not a montage. We could do a montage but that's a different film.

I would like to address the person who said this wasn't a satire though because it really is. Plainly its making fun of the belief that Christians have (and possible other denominations as well but Jesus was the focus in at least this short) that Jesus is always around us, but not just around us helping us. AT ALL TIMES. So does that mean he's there when your making love or defecating, helping you go to the bathroom, pulling for you to have an orgasm. He doesn't turn his back, because you could just sin while doing these unpleasant activities. (This of course could be many different shorts but we focused on Jesus watching someone make love, mainly because I avoid potty humor, I hate farting noises when I see comedy shorts, I tune out at that point).

I remember a time when I was at school and we had this Olympic athlete come and speak at our school and he talked about at each event, for example when he went over the pole vault there was Jesus helping him over, or crossing the finish line in the 100m there was Jesus helping him run faster. I make this short in response to that belief and ask that person, not that he shouldn't believe but has he thought about those moments when Jesus is there but shouldn't be. When he's making love to his wife does Jesus high five him saying good job or does Jesus like to watch. Anyway that's where it comes from. (and by the way our school was a public school so to me the Jesus speech was awkward.)

As to why I didn't use Mohammad, I grew up in a town that was mainly Christian, and I'm more informed about Christian themes and beliefs. If I made it about Mohammad it would be uninformed and flawed. I can't make it about everything. So, sorry about that.

Oh, yeah, about calling it Hilarious and wonderful. I could have said "Hey guys I got this video that may or may not be good. Take a look, you'll probably hate it" but then you'd either agree or just not watch it. Maybe the best thing to do would just say that I found this awesome video someone else made and say that everyone should check it out. Actually, in all honesty that's probably the best thing to do.

But directly about the pacing, we had about 3 hours of film time and when we got done with the shoot and we went into the editing room we where missing some angles. Mainly her second half close ups (which we could live with but took away from our ability to cut away.) We just ran out of time. This caused us to use longer takes which actually in my opinion actually helps the acting because it forces us to observe the behavior (and anyone who's studied acting knows that behavior is acting not how you say lines) rather than watch facial highlights (but those do appear in places I admit). So we get a trade off. Better acting but a longer film. Plus like i said for continence we just had to keep some shots just a little bit longer, but what can you do.

About the lighting of the woman, she is behind the light source in the shot, which should make her darker and the room is suppose to be dimly lit. How ever that light behind was a natural light and maybe it should have been a hard light so that she could have been outlined more. But I don't think I could have fixed that in post. Plus I wasn't the cinematographer, so I got what I got. There are a few shots I'm noticing that maybe could use second color correction go through though.

Anyway I think that's it, plus I have to go.

Blog Entries

Okay, guys, I actually appreciate the feedback believe it or not.
    Of course I believe it and I should jolly well hope you do appreciate it. Several of us have spent time watching and commenting in your film for your benefit and primarily your benefit.

..has he thought about those moments when Jesus is there but shouldn't be. When he's making love to his wife does Jesus high five him saying good job or does Jesus like to watch.
    I'm sure Christians have absolutely no problem with that and no concept of moments when Jesus shouldn't be there. If they do, then their faith is clearly rocky - and this is something which your film so nearly gets across.

As to why I didn't use Mohammad, I grew up in a town that was mainly Christian, and I'm more informed about Christian themes and beliefs. If I made it about Mohammad it would be uninformed and flawed. I can't make it about everything. So, sorry about that.
    The comment wasn't about your film, it was an aside observation about how one can make such a film as this mocking Christianity but maybe not about some other religions. Your reasoning behind using Christianity is perfectly logical - it's the same Reason Richard Dawkins uses for quoting Christianity.

Oh, yeah, about calling it Hilarious and wonderful. I could have said "Hey guys I got this video that may or may not be good. Take a look, you'll probably hate it" but then you'd either agree or just not watch it.
    Absolutely not, we're much more inclinded to ook at films where people are honestly asking for opinions and appear willing to listen.

This is a uk forum and one thing that is bound to get us going is someone who has an overinflated opinion of their work. It is not for you to say it's good, it's up to others.

If you say you think it's your best work to date, that's fine.

And as for "I found this awsome..." no-one would look.

Now you've received some feedback, how about returning the favour and commenting on some other people's films?

Maybe the best thing to do would just say that I found this awesome video someone else made and say that everyone should check it out. Actually, in all honesty that's probably the best thing to do.

But directly about the pacing, we had about 3 hours of film time and when we got done with the shoot and we went into the editing room we where missing some angles. Mainly her second half close ups (which we could live with but took away from our ability to cut away.) We just ran out of time. This caused us to use longer takes which actually in my opinion actually helps the acting because it forces us to observe the behavior (and anyone who's studied acting knows that behavior is acting not how you say lines) rather than watch facial highlights (but those do appear in places I admit). So we get a trade off. Better acting but a longer film. Plus like i said for continence we just had to keep some shots just a little bit longer, but what can you do.

About the lighting of the woman, she is behind the light source in the shot, which should make her darker and the room is suppose to be dimly lit. How ever that light behind was a natural light and maybe it should have been a hard light so that she could have been outlined more. But I don't think I could have fixed that in post. Plus I wasn't the cinematographer, so I got what I got. There are a few shots I'm noticing that maybe could use second color correction go through though.

Anyway I think that's it, plus I have to go.[/QUOTE]
    Tim

Oh, no, I'm sorry, I really do appreciate that some of you liked it. I was just addressing some concerns that a few raised and some that I agreed with even.

The response from Christians is actually more positive sometimes than non religious people I think they get it more actually. So like I said not an attack on belief itself. And to be honest, I'd rather it "nearly" come across in this particular short rather than hit it over the head, because then you almost can't have fun with the situation if your just hammering over the concept rather than just playing with the concept and letting the situation play itself out, plus I think it's clear enough. I'm not sure if you meant the "nearly" comment as a good thing or bad thing or somewhere in the middle but that's my reasoning in any event.

No, you're right, I had a similar remark about why not do other religious leaders and I just felt the desire to explain why to me Jesus was "an easy target." But yeah.

The last part you responded about I was joking so don't worry about it.

I don't think I have an overinflated opinion of my work. I like it and I think it's funny. Like I said, if you don't think it's funny... not much I can do.

You got something, link it up baby!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    This is a uk forum and one thing that is bound to get us going is someone who has an overinflated opinion of their work. It is not for you to say it's good, it's up to others.
    Agreed. If I hadn't been told by the maker that it's "hilarious", I may well have came to that conclusion. But I dislike being sold something with superlatives.

I like it and I think it's funny. Like I said, if you don't think it's funny... not much I can do.
    It's labouring the point somewhat, but if everyone didn't find it funny, there's lots you could do. But it's a mute point, as everyone that commented did find it funny! In summary, everyone's had little so say in terms of content. But we've all said something about your post. So we can say that adults males who are interested in videography don't like to be told what they like. Is this important? Only if your target demographic is middle aged men!

On a serious note, you may take away from this that it's not just your video that's important, but how you sell it. I wouldn't have normally watched or commented after reading your post. But I did, and I'm glad I did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast