Thread: Tenting in the South West

Blog Entries

Default Tenting in the South West

Once a year we get back to basics and camp for a week. Normaly, the video camera takes a back seat on holidays - but on these types of trips, it gets a staring role (hence posting it here, and not just for fun). So I was gutted to have such poor weather which put a dampner on both the camping and the filming. Such a dissapointment - it's not often the girlfriend puts up with a tripod (but she said "no" to wearing the GoPro for some reason).

Timelapse and bat and ball shot on a Kodak Zi8, the rest on a EOS 550d. Still can't afford a new PC, so as usual, no colour grading..

Blog Entries

So nice to see rock steady tripod shots after wading through my hand held rubbish from Tenerife. That immediately makes it look professional by comparison (and by comparison to most of the stuff that's plonked on the net. )
    Beautifully filmed and edited.
    I loved the speeding up treatment - did you do something unusual with it or was it just the fact you were speeded up so very fast that made it look "different"?
    Some very nice "cheats" - the game of bat and ball was convincingly edited together and you got some splended shots from (presumably) your car which reallly managed to look like they were arial shots from a helicopter or light aircraft.
    Some very nicely observed "people watching" shots in there.
    And the shot of your girlfriend you have as the thumbnail is absolutely wonderful - full of character, humour and love.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Thanks Tim! I was gutted when I looked back at what I'd taken; I had no idea how I was going to put it all together. Annoying after getting permission to be a complete geek filming. It's a pain having to downconvert for editing too - all the detail is lost, which meant I missed a few places in the edit. What's more frustrating is that to fix them would take about 4 hours (and that's if my PC could even handle the edits now it's all in HD!).

The tracking shots were from the branch line train which runs from St Ives to St Erth. Luckily the train was empty, which meant I could rig a tripod on the seat next to the window (two legs on the chair, one on the floor).

Nothing unusual with the tent shots, just sped up (roughly) either 3, 4 or 10x dependant on when I wanted the action to change on the pace of the music.

Very nice Marc, Like Tim said the shots from the train look like aerial shots. Nice observation of people and events with a bit of fun thrown in.

Great job Marc

You edited it in a way that the video told a story. It is a pleasure to watch this one, very entertaining. Well done! Thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries

So you used a train...

I was wondering "how the hell did he get those aerial shots?" it was far too smooth to have been from inside a car. I thought that you'd filmed with a glidecam from the sun-roof!

Nice stuff, well edited. Just right for a holiday film.

was that a tiny dutch tilt horizon in the tent timelapse? I was hammered here months ago for a out of wack shot, and they are so easy to do.

as always good sturdy and interesting travel video, difficult to do.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo

Blog Entries

Thanks! Yes, in my eagerness to both put up the tent and film at different angles, I asked the girlfriend to move the tripod...

Blog Entries

I just have to say, with reference to my earlier comment, as I scroll up/down this thread to read new comments, my attention is always caught by the thumbnail in the link and it simply lifts my spirits for a minute, bringing a smile to my face. I don't know what it is, but it seems such a happy shot.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I just have to say, with reference to my earlier comment, as I scroll up/down this thread to read new comments, my attention is always caught by the thumbnail in the link and it simply lifts my spirits for a minute, bringing a smile to my face. I don't know what it is, but it seems such a happy shot.
    And that's why I'm marrying Hollie! I see that smile every day. Granted, sometimes I have to earn it