Thread: Connecting a laptop to PC for remote editing

Blog Entries

Default Connecting a laptop to PC for remote editing

I think I need a new PC. I'm a patient man, but all of this converting to edit, replacing to export and waiting hours to render is just a pain. And that assumes you get it right for time.

I could pick up a fast PC for less than 500, but I want a laptop, and I don't want to spend thousands. Any techie out there suggest a cheap way of using my laptop to connect remotely to a desktop?

Blog Entries

Sorry, Marc. I don't understand what you are trying to achieve.
    Do you mean you want to have your fast desktop holed up somewhere (eg at home) while you connect remotely to it from your laptop, such that you actually do the editing on the desktop PC, but control it via your laptop? Connected via internet?

A straightforward Windows Remote Desktop (aka RDP = remote desktop protocol) will do that. It would probably be as good as you'll get as only the keystrokes/mouse movements and the screen refreshes are sent over the connection. It might work for rough edits but for precise cutting to music it won't cut the mustard. And you would not want to be trying to transfer your raw footage from laptop to desktop.

It's probably a workable soution if you're thinking of a local network connection though (ie desktop in loft, you in lounge) especially if wired.
    Tim

Blog Entries

I was thinking remote desktop via LAN would be an option. However, I wasn't sure what software was needed on the host. The client side, I understand, is native to Windows, but would I need Windows Server on the host?

Blog Entries

No. Windows XP (or anything) Pro is enough. (Not sure about Home - I don't really come across it often).
    On the "server" (ie the desktop), if you Right-Click on "My Computer" and go to properties, you'll see a tab called "Remote". There's a checkbox "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer". There's also an option to select which users.
    Note that when the remote user is logged on they are logged on - ie the desktop is inaccessible from its own keyboard and the screen is blanked.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Update: Just done a quick check. You do need Windows Professional on the host side. And it seems to be the same (as I'd expect) in Win 7
    Remote Desktop Connection: frequently asked questions
    Tim

Whilst this is an interesting idea I fear the experience in reality my be a little disappointing but wish you luck with the venture. My experience with this sort of set up is all laggy screen refreshes and over and under clicking of the mouse clicking of the mouse. :(

For example in Vegas to start and stop the preview you hit the space bar but because of the lag of the screen over a network you will find it hard to hit the mark.

VNC (RealVNC - VNC remote control software) is a popular choice for Users without suitable versions of Windows.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    VNC (RealVNC - VNC remote control software) is a popular choice for Users without suitable versions of Windows.
    Thanks for the reminder, Tim. It's a few years since I've used it but it was then, and I guess is still, a good, straightforward product which "does what it says on the tin"
    Tim