Thread: Another WOT CAMERA? But with specs...

Default Another WOT CAMERA? But with specs...

I'm looking to buy a camcorder but with so much information out there I wouldn't mind a few suggestions.

Budget: Up to 1000
    Must have: External Mic sockets (xlr or jack), wide angle lens option
    HD pref but Dv is ok
    Tapeless pref but DV is ok
    New or used.

I'd like to go as professional as possible as i'll be using it for some corporate work.

So what do you think?

Thanks in advance.

If Standard def is ok, you could look at a second hand Panasonic dvx100. It does a good job and certainly looks the part for your corporate work. There are a plethora of consumer HD cameras that will give you great results for under a grand. Like the Panasonic TM700. Can you tell I like Panasonics

These are just a couple of suggestions but you should really shop around and look at the reviews to get the right camera for you.

I agree with Midnight Blue that the Panasonics are a good way to go.

You could also try finding a Sony PD150 on e-bay. They don't come up at reasonable prices very often - but they do come up. these are the bigger brother to the VX2100 and have the external mic inputs.

Here is an example of a PD150 Sony Handycam DSR-PD150 Camcorder on eBay (end time 10-Aug-10 20:06:58 BST).

...and a DVX100 Panasonic AG-DVX100 DV Camcorder on eBay (end time 05-Aug-10 20:13:35 BST)

If you want to go HD then there is nothing in your price range that's going to take XLRs. None of the consumer cameras take them, and they are not going to look 'pro' if that's what you are looking for. probably the nearest you will find is something like the HMC41 Panasonic AG-HMC41 camcorder (with loads of accessories on eBay (end time 09-Aug-10 20:11:23 BST)

If you are going tapeless don't forget to add cards to your budget. Good cards are not cheap - and never ever ever buy them from e-bay. Most of them are fakes and don't work.

Good XLR mics arene't cheap either.
    Last edited by David Partington; 08-04-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Midnight Blue and David

I've used the pd-150s and pd-170s quite a bit before however i feel that they're a bit big theses days.

I'm not too fussed about it looking 'pro' as long as its capabilities are as 'pro' as possible. i can get that external mic and wide angle lens on it. In fact, i'd quite prefer something that looks a little more subtle.

I've been looking at a second hand Sony HVR A1E and hoping it will end up within budget. What would be the next step down in the sonys from the A1? I remember a friend having a nice sony a year or so back with an external mic and wide angle but it was not as serious bit a kit as the A1E.

Also, a question about buying second hand - What should I be looking for in regards to wear and tear?

Your continued help is appreciated.