Thread: Adobe Premiere 1.5 (large file sizes)

Default Adobe Premiere 1.5 (large file sizes)

I'm using Premiere 1.5. I'll put together a 1 minute clip of imported .wmv files with minimal effects added. The file size is huge when I export the movie as an .avi or quicktime file. An average size of 100 mb for a 1 minute clip doesn't seem right.

Even when i change the resolution in the settings to 100 x 100, which is tiny to even see, it still takes a minute or so to export. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Eric

100MB per minute sounds about right to me. My average file size with .avi exported from PPro is between 2GB and 4GB - and they're mostly 15 - 45 minute clips.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Yep, Ian's right. If you are looking for small file sizes then I assume you are building the movie for download. If so then export to WMV. The file size will be much much smaller

Speaking of which, I'm hating myself for only buying an 80GB drive for capturing only a couple of months ago. It's already very limiting. On principle - having had one or two glitches, and we're talking irreplaceable family memories here taken from an original VHS which is supposed to be discarded once I commit its contents to DVD - I play all my authored DVDs all the way through before removing my working files for the project. Trouble is, it's hard to make time to sit down and watch the DVDs - but easy to make time to start a new project... But I'm stuck with the working files from just two projects, and I don't have enough space to start a third. Let this be a lesson to all those who are new to this viditing lark; you cannot - let me repeat that, CANNOT - have a capture disk that's too large. The price premium to double your disk capacity is tiny when you consider the benefits of the extra space.
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills
    Yep, Ian's right. If you are looking for small file sizes then I assume you are building the movie for download. If so then export to WMV. The file size will be much much smaller
    Thats correct. I'm building it for download. How do I export to WMV? In the settings I only recognize Quicktime and AVI.