Thread: First person perspective video in one take

Default First person perspective video in one take

I've done a few one take videos now, and I think I like them a lot in terms of the process for making them. It forces us to rehearse more (because it needs to be right all the way through), and it means less editing later. I can't use the excuse, "I'll fix that in post." So the extra work put in up front means a better video.

That's my opinion, anyway. Let me know what you think about it.

Blog Entries

The emphasis on getting it right with all the rehearsal that entails clearly shows. Even though the scripted dialog was somewhat forced, the delivery was much more natural than in your previous examples.

You're spot on about the tendency to think "I'll fix it in post".

I'm not a fan of the handheld look - though I appreciate this is a question of both personal taste and having the facilities to do it and alternative way - eg wth a glidecam or dolly.

Unfortunately in this take, what I suspect was meant to be one of the crucial lines is unintelligible "But if we never enter the mission field, we'll never experience ......" what?

I've listened several times and the best I can come up with is "mideo cocks bussing"
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I've listened several times and the best I can come up with is "mideo cocks bussing"
    Couldn't possibly be "many of God's blessings" could it?

I had to watch after I read that!

I agree with Tim about the handheld look - It doesn't work for me - but it's a personal thing. As for the 'acting' - well. I've seen a hell of a lot worse in amateur dramatics.

LOL, you got it right, Andy. It's supposed to be "many of God's blessings." I didn't notice it was hard to understand until you pointed it out, Tim. How can I avoid this in the future? I, and everyone else involved in shooting the video, missed it because we were familiar with the script and heard what we knew it was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BroChris View Post
    LOL, you got it right, Andy. It's supposed to be "many of God's blessings." I didn't notice it was hard to understand until you pointed it out, Tim. How can I avoid this in the future? I, and everyone else involved in shooting the video, missed it because we were familiar with the script and heard what we knew it was.
    I find this one of the trickiest problems with film-making. In an ideal world we'd have an endless supply of people who've never seen the script who can monitor the whole process over our shoulder and comment on anything which isn't clear.

This goes right he way through the process. I find it most prevalent in editing where I've tweaked the same section dozens of times - I'm so familar with it and so keen to keep something happening that I have a tendency not to leave stuff on the screen for long enough to be understood.

I'm sure that the more one does, the more one is aware of these things - in the same way as one absorbs all the other "gotchas".

Also, well done to Andy for getting the line, and you should be made aware that I'm particularly useless at working out garbled lines
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    In an ideal world we'd have an endless supply of people who've never seen the script who can monitor the whole process over our shoulder and comment on anything which isn't clear.
    I think if people did this when I was editing, I'd just punch them in the nose.

a video which has a question as the hook....nice to see.
    I know nothing about youtube, even less about video
    http://www.youtube.com/user/leokimvideo