Thread: NH Quarries Cliff Diving

Cool NH Quarries Cliff Diving

Just me and my bros friends messing around the other afternoon. I am at 0:38-0:42 & 0:56-1:02 & 1:28-1:31

Watch in HD!

Why am I an editor? ...because I'm a bad filmer!
    ☮ ♫ ☾ ☆ ☼ ☯ ~ Live Long & Prosper

Blog Entries

Nice vid. Still improving, Pink.
    Whilst the zooms were occasionally annoying, I thought they were necessary here to draw the viewers attention to the diver just before he dived then zoom out for the wide shot to get the scale of the action. Very well used and well timed - they could be improved a bit by watching out for the sudden speeding up/jerk at the end of each zoom. Something else to practice!

An enjoyable film

Next time you might try getting some real close ups of the guys as well, get some of their personalities into the film, facial expresions etc. Some shots from beneath would be nice too, though I don't know how feasible it would be to get your camera down there without serious risk of water.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Nice vid. Still improving, Pink.
    Whilst the zooms were occasionally annoying, I thought they were necessary here to draw the viewers attention to the diver just before he dived then zoom out for the wide shot to get the scale of the action. Very well used and well timed - they could be improved a bit by watching out for the sudden speeding up/jerk at the end of each zoom. Something else to practice!

An enjoyable film

Next time you might try getting some real close ups of the guys as well, get some of their personalities into the film, facial expresions etc. Some shots from beneath would be nice too, though I don't know how feasible it would be to get your camera down there without serious risk of water.
    Thanks man, yeah my zoom motor speeds are awfully controllable on this camera I had made a post on how terrible it is at one point. I try to avoid zooming but it definitely helps show where they are jumping from.

Your right I am missing the close ups of people, I hate holding the camera that's why, tripods are far more stable. Actually as far as lower under shots go, the ones I did get of like me jumping off the large cliff the second angle is kind of under it. Just getting THERE along with a tripod and camera by myself was nerve racking literally shimmying across the whole cliff on a 10 inch ledge with your camera and knowing if you fall your cameras done for!

Nice job. Like Tim said you are improving. I didn't even mind the reverse shots as they did add something but I wouldn't make a habit of using them. I think this is one of those occasions where a two camera shoot is needed. One for the long shot and one at the top of the jump. I don't know what the music was but some how it did seem to fit with the mood of the day.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Nice job. Like Tim said you are improving. I didn't even mind the reverse shots as they did add something but I wouldn't make a habit of using them. I think this is one of those occasions where a two camera shoot is needed. One for the long shot and one at the top of the jump. I don't know what the music was but some how it did seem to fit with the mood of the day.

Well done.
    Thank you Yeah the second reverse shot was for no reason only to spice it up on the water splash close up. The song was "Bare Naked Ladies - One Week" we were listening to it on the way up so it stuck. Thanks for watching!

Blog Entries

It's the first time I've watched any of your work - So I cant comment on whether this is better / worse than previous efforts.

I liked the variety of shots - the spectacular background certainly helps. I'm curious why you've overlooked the most obvious shot of all though. Directly under the jumper looking up as they lift off, seeing them fly over the top of the camera is a perspective that no one but them would ever see. Everything else could be watched by a passer by.

The ending was a little sudden too - no obvious wind-down at all, just - well that's it kinda thing.

You could've finished with the lads sitting having a beer or something at the end as the sun went down. Would be good to see the social aspect too I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Lockwood View Post
    It's the first time I've watched any of your work - So I cant comment on whether this is better / worse than previous efforts.

I liked the variety of shots - the spectacular background certainly helps. I'm curious why you've overlooked the most obvious shot of all though. Directly under the jumper looking up as they lift off, seeing them fly over the top of the camera is a perspective that no one but them would ever see. Everything else could be watched by a passer by.

The ending was a little sudden too - no obvious wind-down at all, just - well that's it kinda thing.

You could've finished with the lads sitting having a beer or something at the end as the sun went down. Would be good to see the social aspect too I reckon.
    You bring some valid points to the table. As far as the under shots go as I have explained to Tim some of the shots are kind of from under, that spot alone was hard enough to get to with my camera trust me! This is impossible without a boat.

Sometimes I end with a wind down and people complain "why isn't there a big trick at the end?" and when I do the reverse the other 50% complains about not winding down so its a 50/50 I never win. We had to dip from the police, so that would have been good footage but I was too worried about climbing a tree and hiding my shit.