Thread: Panasonic NV-MX300A - manual, etc

Default Panasonic NV-MX300A - manual, etc

At work we have a Panasonic NV-MX300A digital camcorder. Someone bought it years ago (2002?) and it's never really been used. No one knows how to use it, and the manual is lost. I've got a few question I'm hoping someone can answer.

Is it worth my while working out how to use it? It was very expensive at the time, but is it any good by today's standards?

Where can I download a manual? A search of the US Panasonic website comes up with no hits. The Australian one comes up with hits that are other models. What's going on there? On the UK site I found a manual for an NV-MX300B (in about 6 parts) - what's the difference between that model and the 300A?

Our basic problem is that we have no idea how to download from the tape. Do we need special software for that?

The alternative is to use the SD card slot. I tried a 2GB card in it (out of a Canon camera), but it refused to write to it. Does it not support a card that big, does it need to be reformatted in the camcorder?

I'll answer the one about getting the video from the tape to the computer. You will need a firewire cable and some sort of video editing software. Plug the cable into the computer and the camera you may need an installation disk if the computer doesn't recognise the camera when it does open the video editing software witch will have some sort of capture option in it. This will then download the content of the tape.

Make sure the tape is rewound to the beginning before you start.

This is the same procedure for all digital tape cameras new or old.

Whilst annoying that Manufacturers don't make their User Manuals freely downloadable in PDF format; it is irritating to find growing numbers of commercial providers. In your case, perhaps $10 may be worthwhile considering:
    User-Manuals.com: Owner's Manuals and Service Manuals

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Whilst annoying that Manufacturers don't make their User Manuals freely downloadable in PDF format; it is irritating to find growing numbers of commercial providers. In your case, perhaps $10 may be worthwhile considering:
    User-Manuals.com: Owner's Manuals and Service Manuals
    I noticed that. I did actually find the manual, on the UK website. They've scanned it, so the quality isn't great, but it's way better than nothing. For some reason it's in 6 x 2MB parts. I thought I was missing the last section, but the computer was just sorting them out of order because of the way they've named them.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'll answer the one about getting the video from the tape to the computer. You will need a firewire cable and some sort of video editing software. Plug the cable into the computer and the camera you may need an installation disk if the computer doesn't recognise the camera when it does open the video editing software witch will have some sort of capture option in it. This will then download the content of the tape.

Make sure the tape is rewound to the beginning before you start.

This is the same procedure for all digital tape cameras new or old.
    Thanks for that. So that process is universal for tape based camcorders? Is USB2 as fast?

What I was hoping for was an easy way to download, so that anyone at work can do it. If I'm going to have to install firewire and video editing software on the machine of anyone who needs it, it's probably not going to happen.

I was hoping it could record video onto an SD card. The manual doesn't actually say you can't, but it doesn't say you can either, it only mentions recording stills on it.

If I can't get this to work, and we decide to buy a new camcorder, can anyone recommend one that allows us to record to a card, or to download via USB in mass storage mode? Is there such thing?

Our requirements aren't great. We'd just make do with recording on a compact camera, but the sound is terrible on them. We need something that will take an external mic.

Most of the modern cameras record on SD cards, so, I'm sure you will be spoilt for choice. I can't really recommend any particular one as I don't know much about them. Just Google for cameras in your price range and read the reviews.

Good luck.

Default Panasonic NV-MX300A

According to Panasonic your model 300A is OK for British use.
    I have a 300B which is apparently the same as the "A" (and a superb performer) and could provide a copy of its instruction book. Also being local to you I could give you some advice on using the camcorder.