Thread: Choosing the right aspect ratio

Default Choosing the right aspect ratio

Hi there, i'm new to video editing and Sony Vegas, so just had a quick question if thats OK!

I am trying to edit a wedding for a friend of mine, 2 cameras were used, one that shot on tape at 1440 by 1080, this was the main camera getting all the good shots. The second camera was digital and it shot in 1920 by 1080 and spat out .mts files.

I want this edit to be of DVD quality....as that is how it will be sent to the bride and groom. However, whenever I choose the output rendering mode of "PAL DVD Widescreen" it shows aspect ration to be 720 by 576, and when I play the finished file on my PC it shows a very square and squashed looking movie.

I would like to know if somebody could point me in the right direction as what project settings I should use, what rendering settings to use, how I get a non squished finishing product from 2 different source files (if thats possible)

Thanks very much!

Blog Entries

PAL Standard Definition whether 4:3 or 16:9 is 720x576 - it's the shape of the pixels that changes.
    Either you've changed the template somewhere or whatever you're using to play the file is not recognising the info which tells it that it's widescreen. Try using a different media player and/or checking the one you're using isn't set to force 4:3.

I take it you're rendering an MPEG-2 file? Cos that's what you need for a DVD video.

Drag that into DVD Architect and make sure that's set to widescreen DVD. Burn it and play on your DVD/TV.
    Tim

Like Tim said it could be the pixel aspect has been changed in the template make sure it is set to 16:9 widescreen and not square pixel.