Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How can I trim 1 second of all clips ?

Default How can I trim 1 second of all clips ?

Hi Guys, returning to the video editing scene after some time and find each video clip from my now digital cameras ( AVCHD ) have a sound delay and click at the start and sometimes end. As I do some editing in camera when shooting, I have to initialy remove a second from each end of clip after importing, before detailed editing. Wondering if VMS 10 had a way to trim multiple clips to quickly remove a second from each end ?
    My previous cameras used Mini DV tape which was seamless between clips when camera paused.

Regards.. Nick.

I guess I should try posting in AVCHD forum, as its exclusive to this format..

(Please be aware: I have never used Vegas, I don't have an AVCHD cam, and have never edited 'in camera').

Do I understand the question correctly?
    I believe you are importing one (or many) clips into the Vegas timeline. You would like to select them all and trim 1s from the start and end of each clip; then shuffle all the clips along the timeline to fill in the gaps.

Vegas has a scripting language where this find of automation may be possible.

Can you confirm or clarify the issue. I suspect some readers may be confused about your requirements.
    Last edited by TimAndrews; 07-30-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Vegas has a scripting language where this find of automation may be possible.
    This is correct, Tim, but sadly for ozza, only Vegas Pro has it.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozza View Post
    My previous cameras used Mini DV tape which was seamless between clips when camera paused.
    Whilst I appreciate I'm not answering your question, would you not want to trim the start and end of your clips anyway?
    Tim

Hi Tim(s), thank you for your input. Yes it seems `Pro` version would have done the trick with scripting - I only have VMS10 HD Platinum. Maybe a third party application could do it ?
    Looking to the future (only had VMS for a few weeks) I may prefer to convert to .AVI to ease the editing load on PC with maybe Neoscene or similar (cheaper). A batch trimmer would be usefull for me here.
    Re - editing all timeline clips anyway.. In many cases when filming a known event, if the break in sound track would not be a problem, then editing `real time` in camera can save much time back at the studio.. Even cutaways can be made - you have to think well ahead.
    It all stems from Linear editing on tape many years ago !

Its just annoying that recording to SD cards you dont really have a pause option, and clip ends are not clean.

Thanks again..

Nick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ozza View Post
    then editing `real time` in camera can save much time back at the studio..
    Ahhhh...of course.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Working on an idea....
    Tim

Get a small boy who used to work up chimneys and get him to do it....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Get a small boy who used to work up chimneys and get him to do it....
    Nah. I'll do it. It's fun......

OK, this looks complex but, if you've got a lot of clips is worth considering. I've tested this with VMSP version 6.

Conceptually what we do is drag the clips to the timeline with a 2 second overlap and then convert that overlap into a cut - which will effectively cut 1 sec off each clip. Good, eh?

The main requirement is that the clips appear in the "project media" window in the sequence you want them. This should be no problem if you are simply repeating the order that they come off the camera.

Important, this uses keyboard shortcuts which require that the num lock is on.

1. Import media to get all your clips into the Project Media tab.
    2. Options | Preferences | Editing Tab.
    ...Tick the box "Automatically overlap multiple selected media when added" and set the amount to 2.00 seconds. Also ensure the Alignment is set to "centred on cut".
    3. Select all the media in your project media and drag to the timeline.

Now it's all there with 2 sec crossfades!

4. Click on the first crossfade and press the * key on the numeric keypad to convert this to a dissolve transition. Just close the dialog which pops up. (Alternatively right-click on the crossfade and select Transition | Insert Sony Dissolve then close the dialog). Actually any transition other than crossfade will do here.
    5. Right Click on the dissolve you've just created and select "copy".
    6. Select the next crossfade and then then shift-click the final crossfade to select all crossfades.
    7. Right Click on one of the selections and select "Paste Event Attributes". This will convert all the crossfades to dissolves (or whatever transition you chose)

So we now have all your clips with two second dissolves.

8. Click on the first dissolve then press Ctrl+ "/" on the num keypad. This will convert the dissolve to a cut.
    9. You now need to step through all of the dissolves repeating this. Unfortunately selecting them all and pressing Ctrl+ Num / doesn't work - at least in version 6 but there is a fairly quick way:
    Use the Numeric keypad 9 to step along the timeline selecting in turn the beginning of an event, the end of and event and the dissolve. It becomes quite quick to get into the routine of going 9, 9, 9, Ctrl + Num / (Trust me - it just looks cumbersome typed out!)

10. You can now do the same for the crossfades on the audio track - just select the first and press Ctrl + Num /, then 9, 9, 9 etc etc etc

As I say I did this with version 6. Version 10 may well make it even simpler - eg allowing you to select all clips and apply a "Convert to Cut".

Let me know how you get on.
    Last edited by TimStannard; 07-30-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: corrections
    Tim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast