Thread: Great music for video editing

Default Great music for video editing

Hi all,

Do you recognize:
    you have to make a video for a client, or for whatever purpose and you can't find the right music to fit with your video???
    For me, sometimes, the search for the right music is the most time consuming thing of the whole production.

Well,
    maybe we can help eachother...
    Post your favourite music here for your video's and share your creativity here...

I'll start with some:
    Note that the most video's that I make are promo's for bigger sportsevents in my country.
    (now, i'm from Holland, but I will post internationally known songs only here.. )

my top :

1. battle without honor or humanity - tomoyasu hotei
    2. Kasabian - Fire (instrumental version, starting at about 1 minute into the song)
    3. pjanoo - Eric Prydz
    4. Genesis - Justice
    5. Trailer music Avatar
    6. intro music of Top Gun

A lot of the music that I use, I find through my most favourite program on television (seen through the eyes of a filmmaker, but also just as myself) Top Gear.
    If you are a Top Gear fan also and want to know what music they are using:
    TG What's That Song?
    That's always a good "database" for me.

I'm curious what kind of music you like to use.

I either write my own; or create them from compositions of composers who have been dead for over a hundred years. This saves me paying any licence fees or any hassle with copyright matters.

I suspect there are several factors to consider when selecting pre-recorded music. Very often on TV, I sense the song is chosen for its Title or lyrics. Simplistic programs like 'Top Gear' have it easy - there are lots of songs about cars. And the abundance of pop songs with lyrics now offer a very wide choice for lyric related songs.

I actually think its daft to produce lists of music, unless there was a sensible way to classify them. Ideally, one would type in a description; and the database would find the closest match. e.g: "I want something that sounds like trees singing and clouds crying".
    However, the final effect may depend on the mood, or preferences, or musical geekingess of the listener. Whilst I know some of Wagner's themes; I recognise that many more people would consider themes from LOTR than from the Ring Cycle.

I am surprised that Dutch clothing manufacturers don't commission their own music to be written.

I don't agree with you there.
    First off all, I usually try to find music without lyrics. Because there is always a problem with lyrics fitting your subject.

But when it comes to promo's and that kind of stuff, music is about mood and purpose.
    When I listen to my number 1 on the list I immediately think about heroic sport moments...

But I do think you have to beware to not take music that is directly bound to familiar things.
    I would never use music from James Bond or that kind of stuff... That's to tied to that specific thing.
    Same thing for the theme of Pirates of the Carribean, for example.

I don't know how it is in other countries, but the hassle with copyrights isn't that great.. It's a paper factory of it's own, sure, but some forms every year and a certain amount of money and you're set. And I have the advantage that my employer or customer pays it...

I often feel that royalty free music doesn't cut it when it comes to impact...

Quote Originally Posted by Thieson View Post
    But when it comes to promo's and that kind of stuff, music is about mood and purpose.
    When I listen to my number 1 on the list I immediately think about heroic sport moments...
    There have been several ways to classify music pieces. But I consider existing systems, such as found in MP3 players are almost useless. The automatic categorisation by Artist, Album, Year (and the rest of the commonly used MP3 tags) is a start. But as Thieson points out; information is needed about the mood of the track. Simple listings of tracks are not, in my view, very helpful.

I mentioned custom written music because I have read in these Forums of people offering or providing their compositions for inclusion in videos. With the correct brief, they could doubtless produce excellent work.

Perhaps I am sounding too 'arty', but I am always sad to see well made videos - joined to a known audio track. It is like watching television but listening to the radio.

By the way. To me, the track by Tomoyasu Hotei sounds equally applicable to a sporting moment or a TV crime film. You can see the problem of classifying by 'purpose'.

To answer you question I like bass lines TBH,...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dgJWDfz01s]YouTube - Land Rover Discovery & Defender........ Trailerfitters Toolbox[/ame]

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TFV View Post
    To answer you question I like bass lines TBH,...

YouTube - Land Rover Discovery & Defender........ Trailerfitters Toolbox
    What's with attaching a video to every post? Please don't.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    By the way. To me, the track by Tomoyasu Hotei sounds equally applicable to a sporting moment or a TV crime film. You can see the problem of classifying by 'purpose'.
    Oh no, you're right about that... Purpose is not per se just sport, or just crime film, or just....

It's just about the mood you want to have in a video.

I make a lot of promo's for big screens on sporst events and that kind of stuff. And the Tomayashu Hotei is for example a great song to make an introduction or something...

And indeed, I don't want music that is to familiar as I said earlier.

But that same idea is used in Top Gear I think: At least:
    the great majority of songs used in their items is very unknown to me.
    But they always catch the right mood in their items... That's at least my opinion.

Songs that Top Gear and the Australian Win Network use and that I like to use for Montages and things are the "Two Steps from Hell" songs specifically the "Heart of Courage" and "Strength of a Thousand Men" songs. Also other music are theme songs such as the "James Bond Theme" and "Doctor Who The 11th Doctor theme" or "Johnny English Reborn - Soundtrack - #1 London" or for a more classical approach "Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture". For Montages of game plays Monstercat music is also great, and i have seen son YouTubers use it and some of the best include: "Nitro Fun - Cheat Codes", "Tristam Braken Flight", "Astronaut Far Too Loud War F_O_O_L Didrick Remix". I hope these were helpful to you.

There are some instrumental songs which I use to make videos and edit them. They come out to be very attractive videos. I also use after effects templates which bring special effects.

My instrumental songs list which I use in the videos are -

A Wonderful Day
    Silhouette
    The Messiah Will Come Again
    Nocturne
    That Happy Feeling
    Conquest of Paradise
    Orange Blossom Special
    Canon