Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Depth of Field Test

Default Depth of Field Test

I was doing a bit of depth of field and focus pull testing yesterday. I thought I'd put it up here for anyone who might be interested.

Nice work MB

Cheers. I've been looking into getting a the new Redrock M3 when it's released. So I thought I'd see how the camera did with the depth of field without an adaptor. As you can see I managed to get some appearance of a shallow DOF but I also have to be fully zoomed in to get the effect so indoor shooting is just no good without an DOF adaptor.

121 views and only one reply

Blog Entries

Really excellent results. Quite apart from that, even though this was just a test of DoF, it's clear how much and how rapidly both your camerawork and editing are improving.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    it's clear how much and how rapidly both your camerawork and editing are improving.

yes, totally agree.

Thanks very much guys.

Sorry I haven't replied, I've just got back from Euro Disney, now I need a holiday to get over the holiday.

Hi MB, nice video mate.

I am a novice, and I am not trying to teach my grandma how to suck eggs, but bear with me ...

Did you essentially get these results by just using the manual focus on the camera to first focus on the foreground and then manually move the focus to the the background, or visa versa?

If you did, I have a bit of a cheat for you that helps the transition from background to foreground happen more smoothly. You essentially just focus the camera on the background image before you start shooting, and then switch to auto-focus after the requisite time has elapsed.

The camera should then detect the foreground object, and smoothly move from focusing on the back to the fore. It worked for me anyway

I'm still very much a novice. Interesting idea Mike but it misses what I was trying to do, ie do it all by hand and eye. That was the purpose of doing it. It was like a practise session.

I have to get use to focusing with a not so good screen for my next shoot. Also leaning how to smoothly focus pull and push. Also how to get my hands moving at the right speed so it doesn't take to long. Example I thought I was to slow at around 32 second focusing on to the red flowers.

I still find it tricky to use the focus ring smoothly on my camera when I run out of wrist twist so I have to learn how to do it smoothly.

Anyway thank for taking the time to view the video.

Oh sorry MB, from your activity and wise words on here, I thought you were a pro!

I also find it horrendously difficult to use the focus ring, which is why I was so happy to stumble upon that cheat.

As you say, I guess it is a case of the age old adage of "practice makes perfect"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast