Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three questions about Sony Vegas Movie Studio

Default Three questions about Sony Vegas Movie Studio

I'm new to this so any help would do. First of all, I'm just getting into video/slideshow editing (purely for family fun, nothing professional, just need something to edit my personal stuff) and have narrowed my search of a editing program down to two programs, Sony Vegas Movie studio + DVD and Power Director 4.0 (heard 3.0 sucked) and am having a hard time deciding. Any recommendations. These two are the only ones that I am considering. (also considered Adobe, but read that it's mainly for DV editing, and I haven't got a dv camera yet)
    I'm leaning towards Sony, because of the stability and the great templates, but I've encountered one (to me anyway) huge complaint with this editing software..... on to the second question.
    I've downloaded the trial version of Sony Vegas Movie Studio (downloaded Power Director 3.0 also...Cyberlink won't allow a 4.0 preview..and this version crashes every now and then...thus making me consider Sony) and noticed that everytime I import a MP3 or sound file, it creates the following file extension " .sfap0 ", and it doesn't delete itself after I'm done with the editing. This file is huge, normally 5-6 times the diskspace of my original MP3 (40 Mbs average). I have to manually enter my music folder and delete it on my own. I've tried contacting Sony's tech center, with no response in about 5 days now. Is there a way to disable this, or at least make Sony delete the file after I'm done editing?
    Third (sorry for so many questions)...is there a way to make the Vegas program automatically backup my projects? I read the manual and I may have missed it, but I've worked on a couple of projects and the program crashed and I lost all my work...my own fault for not backing it up, but is there a way to make it automatic? Thanks for any help.

I have Vegas 5, though I don't use it much, and the 'help' under 'Index' then 'Backup' says there is an automatic backup, every 5 minutes, but you need to make sure it is switched on. Go to 'options' then 'preferences', then under the 'general' tab there is a long list of items you can tick or not. The backup is towards the bottom. I haven't seen a way of shortening the time between backups.
    Win XP, Athlon 1.8, G force 3 T, 1 60gig drive + 1 250 gig, Pinnacle Studio 9 plus mostly, Premiere 6, and Vegas 5 sometimes, Soundforge, Cool Edit.

3. Default

Here's my story:

I started on Screenblast 3, which is a earlier ver. of Sony Vegas and it just confused the hell outta me. I was so frustrated that I stopped editing. About a month later I edited on MoveMaker 2.0, which is a free XP product, and that really taught me how to edit. It's very easy and I learned it in about 5 min. I then bought Power Director 4, and I learned that in a snap and it's really great for beginners. I filmed my mother-in-law's Wedding in Belize with a Sony camcoder, and edited it on Power Director 4, and the results were just great! We just had a major party back here in Chicago, and we showed the video to about 50 friends. People were amazed with the results I got. Everyone thought it was a professional job. I still get calls and compliments on that video. So if your a newbie buy Power Director 4.

Quote Originally Posted by cubbiechris
    I filmed my mother-in-law's Wedding in Belize with a Sony camcoder, and edited it on Power Director 4, and the results were just great! We just had a major party back here in Chicago, and we showed the video to about 50 friends. People were amazed with the results I got. Everyone thought it was a professional job. I still get calls and compliments on that video. So if your a newbie buy Power Director 4.
    I liked PD 4 also. I downloaded the trial version. I tried to capture VHS from my VCR using my Sony camcorder set to pass-thru mode. PD 4 kept asking me to insert a tape into the camcorder.

Do you know if PD 4 supports pass-thru?
    If so, how do you do it?

This set-up does work with other software. Don't understand why it doesn't work with PD 4.

Thanks

5. Default

You know that a interesting question. I really don't know? Is it possible to record the VHS onto a tape on the Camcorder? Can your Camera record what you have on your VHS tape through that same pass through. Just a thought?

I actually have Sony Vegas Movie Studio...it is a GREAT program to use for the novice editor.

I also use Adobe Premiere, but only if I'm unable to do something in Movie Studio that I could get done in Premiere...which is rare.

Default Sony Vegas Video and Ulead

Hi - I recommend Ulead, becuase the features are great and I am very comfortable with it...although I must say that the support is quite good at Sony.
    One question - this is for home use right? I am in the midst of creating a board game utilizing camcorders and video editing software - its totally cool. Do you know a lot of people that use videoediting software at home?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eason
    I actually have Sony Vegas Movie Studio...it is a GREAT program to use for the novice editor.

I also use Adobe Premiere, but only if I'm unable to do something in Movie Studio that I could get done in Premiere...which is rare.
    I'm I the only one that thinks that Sony Vegas Movie Studio is cumbersome? I have the hardest time editing anything in that program. I think Adobe elements is so much easier, but no one else thinks that.

You're not wrong in preferring Elements over VMS, cubbiechris. I just prefer to use VMS for projects that don't require a lot of articulation. Fun little projects, home videos, etc. For a viditer, especially an amateur, VMS is a good starting point.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Eason
    You're not wrong in preferring Elements over VMS, cubbiechris. I just prefer to use VMS for projects that don't require a lot of articulation. Fun little projects, home videos, etc. For a viditer, especially an amateur, VMS is a good starting point.
    It seems all video software is a personal perference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast