Thread: Vegas Pro 9.0d freezes when I've opened a big project

Default Vegas Pro 9.0d freezes when I've opened a big project

Hi guys,

I'm having a pretty big problem. I'm working on an editing project in 720p with more than 100 different video files. It worked fine, but when I imported another 15 video files, Vegas started to freeze when I want to start editing. Sometimes I get a message from Windows saying that the program doesn't respond anymore, sometimes I get one from Vegas with the following details:

Extra Information
    File: C:\Users\XOdinX\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\dx_video_grovel_x86.log
    File: C:\Users\XOdinX\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\dx_grovel_x86.log
    File: C:\Users\XOdinX\AppData\Local\Sony\Vegas Pro\9.0\vst_grovel.log
    File: C:\Users\XOdinX\Desktop\projectx.veg

Problem Description
    Application Name: Vegas Pro
    Application Version: Version 9.0d (Build 1133)
    Problem: Unmanaged Exception (0xc0000005)
    Fault Module: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\vegas90.exe
    Fault Address: 0x32403EBA
    Fault Offset: 0x32403EBA

Fault Process Details
    Process Path: C:\Program Files\Sony\Vegas Pro 9.0\vegas90.exe
    Process Version: Version 9.0d (Build 1133)
    Process Description: Vegas Pro
    Process Image Date: 2010-04-07 (Wed Apr 07) 11:20:52

It doesn't really matter what I'm doing when it crashes. Sometimes I'm just clicking on a file, sometimes I press play and it starts playing but it crashes after a few seconds. My only explenation is that my system isn't capable of handeling so many files, but I have a Quad Core and 4 GB RAM so it would surprise me. Also, I tried running the file as an admin and closing as many other programs that are active at the moment, but it doesn't seem to help.

I hope you guys can help me out because I'm clueless and I've been working on it for a long time. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Odin; 07-24-2010 at 02:25 PM.

Make sure you have run as admin unchecked on the sony vegas shortcut. I've had this problem before and I've fixed it by downgrading to vegas 9e to vegas 9c. Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip, but I started with 9.0c and the problem was there already.

Somewhere else they adviced me to increase my virtual memory and use a second hard drive for the video files. I think I'll give that a try.

I bought Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD, and it worked great but then after a few months or so it started freezing up and shutting down when I would try to render my videos, and I couldn't figure out what to do to solve it.
    I finally put the video [.vf file] on a CD and tried to put it on my laptop but it still wouldn't work. When I tried to render, or even just edit again, it started telling me it wasn't "reponding", and then that my computer was out of space for the large video clips to render.

However, I've run several scans to see how much memory I have left, and removed tons of pictures and videos, but it still won't work, even with enough memory left!

I then downloaded a trial of Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10.0 on the first computer and I could finally start editing again, but now I can't render or even hardly watch the video without it freezing and then "Not Responding". I then switched to another computer entirely, moving more than a hundred of my video clips to this computer and downloading a free trial of Sony Vegas Pro 9.0. It worked great for a day or two, and now today it is also freezing up!! I am so frustrated and confused! What can I do??

2 month old thread...hope you guys will come back and read this.

The problem isn't with your computers, its a problem with Vegas. I have a quad core with 8 gigs of RAM and this happens to me as well. Luckily there is a very quick and simple solution to all this.

If your Vegas is freezing before the project finishes opening:

1. Open Vegas via Shortcut, not from Project.
    2. Go to View
    3. Uncheck "Waveforms and Frames"
    4. Open project and continue editing

Basically, when you have a big project, Vegas tries to render all the Waveforms in your audio files, showing you the actual wave on the audio file. Same goes for your video files. This will TURN OFF these displays, freeing up pretty much all the memory. Unfortunately, having these off hinders editing a bit because you have to use the preview pane to match up audio and video instead of it being simply on the track itself.

The shortcut to do this on the fly is CTRL SHIFT W. Be warned though, just because the project opened fine with the Waveforms and Frames off, doesn't mean it won't crash when you try to turn them back on. Basically when you try to turn them on the same problem occurs with Vegas freezing because its just too much stuff to handle.

To get around this problem altogether, and to avoid having to edit semi blind, you'll have to leave Vegas open for the entire duration of your editing period, since Vegas got to render the individual files as they were added, and not all at once when you do a fresh start up. Even then you can add a few too many files, like the OP and it just can't handle the extra load, so you will have to turn off the Waveforms and Frames.

This fixed my problems. I hope this helps you guys out.

Hello! Hope I'm still in time to ask about the same problem... since yesterday in my work we've been going nuts with that same problem! we're working in vegas10, in a i5 with 4gb ram. Now, thanks to bhvalence, I CAN open the proyect. Yet, the video looks red, wherever you put the mouse. And I can't save it with other name, as the "save as" button doesn't seem to be working. Can I please ask if anybody knows how can I fix it? (yeah, I'm pretty dying over the keyboard right now...) Thanks in advance!

I'm glad I could give you some help.

Now I'm going to assume that the video looks red in the preview pane correct ? And you cannot save the PROJECT and rename it ? Here are some things you should try:

If the video is red in the preview pane, do a test render and see if that red persists to the rendered video. If the project is large I suggest just quickly cutting it down or just select a small area to render so its done quicker. If Vegas renders the red, then you really do have a problem. If its just showing up on the preview pane, unfortunately I don't know what is wrong, but at least it does not effect the final video, and will only hinder the editing process.

What exactly is happening when you click save as ? Does the save dialog box not appear ? When you try to save under another name, does it even show up and actually save ? If the title is originally untitled, you could try a normal save and then a save as.

I have experienced having problems with the preview pane (mine displaying solid black instead of red) but I have never encountered a saving problem. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Finally I won against the vegas! it was, in fact, that the project was huge. I turned off all the previews, waveforms and that, and when I did that, the program stopped collapsing every time I took a breath. Then started copying in little parts the clips of the archive. I saved it in four diferent archives, and also changed the preview from best to draft. I also needed it with all the cuts and effects, for it wasn't finished, so I couldn't just throw random renders.

After I split the project into little parts, I could save without problems. (by the way, sorry, I don't know if the past of split is, in fact, split). The problem was, then, not with the program, but with the project itself.

The red frame... it burned my eyes, I won't deny it, but I didn't try to render it, just because it was so slow I feared the program would collapse again. But when I split it, the render worked fine. And also, I could edit it easily, without any problems.

Thank you a lot! it was your post that gave me the key to solve this problem!