Thread: brown lens filter?

Default brown lens filter?

Watching nature programmes on the TV quite a few shots have a very deliberate distinct brown, earthy appearance to the whole scene. Is the the use of filters or perhaps in the editing stage???

I would Imagen it's mostly done in the editing stage as most of this sort of filming will be digital video. They may have a polarising filter on the camera to reduce reflection of water or even a graduated ND filter to keep the detail in the sky but I would imagine most of the video will be shot clean and tarted up at the editing stage.

I don't work in the TV industry so I don't know for sure.

Blog Entries

That's what the "colorist" does. They are responsible for the "look" of the production such that the scenes match in overall white balance. So they will adjust each shot to match the previous one and the director/producer will have given them the job of making the scene "warm" or "neutral" or whatever.

However, stuff shot in central and eastern Africa tends to be reddish anyway because that's the colour of the dusty earth which gets everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    However, stuff shot in central and eastern Africa tends to be reddish anyway because that's the colour of the dusty earth which gets everywhere!
    Funny,.... you say that,.. I watched another programme which was based in Africa about CO2 gas escaping out of a lake and wiping out 2000 people,..the colours in that documentary were astoundingly the same but looking at the natural shots and not being racist the colour of the folk actually matched the surroundings,...Greens and browns... ( Camaroon) Yes,... there was some nice colouring and effects of actors playing dead,.. so as you said in your post having someone who colours it all in,... that makes sense.

I have a filter on my editor called EARTH which doesn't play how I want it to so perhaps I need to get some predominant brown colours to get that effect to work??