Thread: How do I stop Vegas Pro 8 running each time I connect Camcorder to computer

1. Question How do I stop Vegas Pro 8 running each time I connect Camcorder to computer

I would appreciate any help on how to stop Vegas Pro 8 C launching every time I connect my Sony camcordervia the firewire. I am using Windows XP Pro SP2
    If I am already using Vegas and connect the camcorder it launches another Vegas pro project.
    I cannot find an option in the preferences .
    If I plug in a memory stick or SD card the computer asks me what I want to do with it and lists options. If I plug in the camcorder launches immediately into Vegas.
    Any suggestions anyone ??
    Regards
    Red kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

Very odd behaviour indeed. I have never heard of this one. For some reason your PC thinks that your camera is a camera (which it should!) or scanner and believes that the s/w to use is VP8. OR you have a Route 1 to the SONY video capture s/w (vidcap.exe) which is also tucked into Vegas, and maybe that that is being called up but via VP8. Is this recent behaviour?

Truly, never heard of this . . can't help much more than that, other than to say that you are still on XP SP2, I've just recently up-ed to XP SP3 and have achieved better comms results - like my sync to external monitor via VPro, does not now crash Vegas. Now I am not sure that what was in SP2 has now been improved, or, that the actual process of updating to SP3 has shaken something loose? But I would submit my experience to you to think on.

BTW? Have you tried to reinstall Vegas? Only a thought? I'm assuming you are connecting via firewire - yes?

3. Default

Thanks for your suggestion Grazie
    I had already reinstalled Vegas once due to a problem with the capture preview window being so dark that the clip being captured could not be seen.
    However I bit the bullet and removed Vegas Pro 8, I did the clean install process as described on the Sony media site and cleared the registry. I have installed SP 3 and then reinstalled Vegas. The capture preview window is still nearly black but the problem with the camcorder connection starting additional copies of Vegas has been resolved so I count that as a result. I can live with the dark capture preview as progress can be monitored on the camcorder screen.
    Regards
    Red kite
    Places to see, scenes to video, techniques to learn DVD's to burn.
    Not enough time !!!
    red.kite Abingdon, England

When you plug devices into XP, an options windows comes up normally asking what you want to open or use with this program, you can select a program and then check the box always do this, and this may have happened in your case.

I don't know for sure this is right but you could have a look. Open Windows Explorer and click on the tools tab, select folder options, now click on the folder type tab. This is a list of all the file types that are related to applications, this includes what to do if you load a DVD into the DVD drive etc. If you look through this list you may see Vegas connected with your firewire connection.

Like I said it may or may not be there but it's worth a try. The only other way is to start looking in the registry, or services gubbins which is beyond me.