Thread: Hand Held Microphone question

Default Hand Held Microphone question

Before I start, I would like to say I have read the post about cheap mic's!
    However, this is a question about cheap-ish mic's and dictation machines. I do some sound recording for my videos (which I do for free, so not too professional but like to be near it), and at the moment I have a 30 dictation machine but sound quality is of course a bit funny for sounds (everywime you move it the sound crackles), but you can plug your own mic in. Now I know a 30 mic isn't tops however I am wondering if it is slightly better than a dictation machine in built mic or weather it will just be the same?
    I found a hand held mic in Maplin for 34 for voice/karoke but hopefully doesn't have the go awful background noise that my dictation machine has (a calm day can sound like a stormy day!)
    Anyone had any experiences, and should I just keep my 34 if it's a waste and use the in-built mic?
    I could spend more but as I do them for free, I use my wages to pay for the bits and tats.

Regards,
    James.

I would say it will be better. One of the problems with Dictaphones is the mic is constantly adjusting the volume if it goes quiet the mic volume will automatically turn up so the next time you speak you will get a peak before the mic turns down again.

I think in the article about cheap mics it says that a lot has to do with how it is used, so a 300 pound mic used badly will sound bad but a 30 mic used correctly will sound ok.

Hope this helps.

Blog Entries

I would suggest having a look at the Sennheiser e815 and e825 microphones. They are slightly more than your budget but are excellent vocal mics for the price. They will certainly sound much better than your dictaphone's mics.
    The only drawback is that they're not very sensitive. They're intended for singers and need to be held close to the mouth if you're talking normally. Very good for voice-overs and suchlike but not a lot of good once they're more than a foot away from the mouth.

Thank you all for the replies,

The mic is really for picking up sounds of a train (buzzers, squeal off the rail on the tight curves, engine sounds and air resevoir hisses)

Now the latter can be done from a 'front' window' however the mic I am looking at has a mesh shield which should drown out the wind...and I have a muffler on my hand held mic (USB plug only though) which works wonders. that should drown some wind out, but might be quiet probably will need to jack the sound up in Vegas after...

Regards,

James.

Blog Entries

You can get foam wind mufflers for all sorts of microphones. You can also make them yourself in true "Blue Peter" fashion.

Get the microphone which is right for your needs before worrying about mufflers and wind-muffs.