Thread: Need help

Default Need help

Hi, My name is Ryan I'm 25 and from San Fransisco. I really want to get into cinematography but am confused in which direction I should be heading. Will I need a degree to work as a cinematographer, are community colleges worthwhile as I hear some are poorly equipped. What are your views on mentoring and internships? I like the idea of learning whilst working in a real studio. Does this system work? I read a bit from people flaming the system, is there any basis for their hostility, or are the attacks unfounded? I work part time so can I study around this or will I have a problem. I was never particularly good at school so would hands on training in a studio suit me more than a university based curriculum. Sorry for all the questions.
    Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by RyanEdward View Post
    Hi, My name is Ryan I'm 25 and from San Fransisco. I really want to get into cinematography but am confused in which direction I should be heading. Will I need a degree to work as a cinematographer, are community colleges worthwhile as I hear some are poorly equipped. What are your views on mentoring and internships? I like the idea of learning whilst working in a real studio. Does this system work? I read a bit from people flaming the system, is there any basis for their hostility, or are the attacks unfounded? I work part time so can I study around this or will I have a problem. I was never particularly good at school so would hands on training in a studio suit me more than a university based curriculum. Sorry for all the questions.
    Ryan
    Ryan,
    There are all kinds of opinions on these questions. Allow me to also give you one: There are two extremely good DVD based courses available that will will teach you more about cinematography in 20 hours of viewing than you can learn in a couple of years of film school. They are available from Hollywood Camera Work. Buy the course, master the techniques, and then just get out your camera and start doing it. If, later, you still decide to go to a film school, you will have a big advantage, because you will already be light years ahead of most of the rest of the class. I hope you find this advice helpful. I bought these courses myself, based on someone's advice. I'm glad I did.
    Regards

Thank you worddigger, I appreciate your reply and will be looking into it. Nice to meet someone on forums with an open mind. Thanks once again.

I am a new member. I have read in this forum that some of you suspect that new members are spam. I am not spam. Please remember, your posts show up in the search engines so even thought the forum is “private” the posts are public. So when I saw that you were talking about Film Connection, I had to join and post as I understand that on this thread there has been discussion regarding Film Connection, I would like to draw your attention to the Recording Connection as it is a subject that I know a lot about. I should, I went to the school. If you will I'd like to tell you about my experience, bear in mind I was with Recording Connection, although I have spoken to Film Connection students and they are as happy with their program as I am with mine.
    First off this place is far from a scam. They get you inside a real recording studio and oversee that you are trained one on one inside a real studio. No money at all is asked for up front. You pay only after you are accepted and feel comfortable with your mentor.
    Many say why pay for an Internship? And that is what I originally thought, but the reality is, this is not an Internship, it is an apprenticeship. You are learning from a professional in a real studio from a course curriculum. My Recording Connection mentor is Warren Huart. Look him up. Warren is the Producer of Korn, Better than Ezra, and just about every alternative band at Sony Music. He is also a composer for Grey’s Anatomy, Scrubs, etc.

Look I’m in my 30s and so I’ve been around the block, as I’m sure many of you have. I love the Internet, blogging, and posting in forums, but let’s be real people, NEGATIVE comments in forums and on blogs will always be in the majority because most people don’t post positive things when they are happy. We humans are just not wired that way unfortunately. If there are 5-20 negative comments in this or other forums, Praedo’s Law says there are probably 500 people who loved this school. I am one of them. Is the Recording Connection perfect? No. But it got me in a real studio and I learned under a man (Warren) who is real life music producer. Warren would not have trained me if I knocked on his door cold and asked him for an Internship.

Also, here are some other guys that endorse The Recording Connection and also teach for them in their studios:

TIM PALMER – Produced for U2, Pearl Jam, The Cure, David Bowie
    CHRIS SHELDON – Engineered and Produced Liz Phair
    JOHN ALTMAN – James Bond Film Composer
    BRIAN BLACKWELL – Sony Music Executive for 30 years.
    BRIAN LEVI – Engineered for Dwight Yokam
    PRESTON BOEBEL – Engineered for Hoobestank, Whitesnake, Clint Mansell

This place is not a scam. If anyone wants to talk to me live about it, post and we can arrange a chat.But please let's keep it polite.

Best Wishes,
    Brian Hulnick (Recording Connection Graduate)

Ryan I'm not sure of the situation on the West coast as far as film schools is concerned. But here on the East coast there's a pretty big choice. After scouring the wonderful wide web and doing some research, I decided on film connection as they got me into a working set immediately. My mentor is going thru everything with me. Even so, I would also recommend getting some books/ DVD's like worddiger suggested. There is no such thing as too much knowledge, so long as this knowledge is relevant to your job.
    Last edited by Tim Smith; 08-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.

worddigger, is there any particular place where I can purchase the DVD's/ Books? And how much should they cost?
    Brian, I will be looking into Film Connection as soon as I can.
    Thanks guys

Your welcome, let me know how you get on.
    Also, worddiger I would be interested in those DVD's also, where can they be purchased?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hulnick View Post
    So when I saw that you were talking about Film Connection, I had to join and post as I understand that on this thread there has been discussion regarding Film Connection, I would like to draw your attention to the Recording Connection as it is a subject that I know a lot about.
    Erm, no one mentioned it.

But isn't it an amazing coincidence that Brian and Ryan share the same IP address? Brian / Ryan, I think you copied and pasted the wrong bits of marketing text.

Blog Entries

You mean Ryan from San Fransisco ( as opposed to San FRANCISCO) asking for a school is posting from the same computer as Brian, who is selling a school...?

Coincidence or what!