Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animation

Talking Animation

Hi friends, I'm finally out of my studio, at least, partially. This is an animation made with Maya, I'm not an animator, although I modeled, animated, iluminated, and rendered all this stuff (very painful, haha). Hope you like it. Regards.

Last edited by Marc Peters; 11-18-2010 at 06:44 PM.

2. Default

Well done jcp,
    That was a brave attempt to add a new dimension to your music videos and quite a departure from what you normally do.
    Personally we'd have liked a male figure! Males actually look better with bald heads!
    We think you're a bit too concerned with the authenticity of the musical performance in your videos.
    You are allowed a huge amount of artistic licence in a music video & although you obviously love playing guitar, lets face it virtuoso guitar is not the most interesting of visual spectacles.
    We'd like to see you concoct a storyline around one of your pieces & actually let film of that dominate over the accurate filming of your guitar playing.
    You are really progressing with your video making, this one & the last one have been big steps forward.
    Have you thought of getting a green screen? That way you can go to exotic destinations in your videos without leaving your studio!

Sarah & Allison
    Last edited by Sarah & Allison; 07-15-2010 at 12:23 AM.

what program did you use? The water looked great

I agree with Sarah & Allison that your videoing skills has greatly improved since your first postings. I got into the music and visuals and thought they worked well together. I took it that it was about drinking alcohol, getting drunk etc. A some what darker feel to your usual.

Because you have so much talent, I always feel I have to push you to leave your comfort zone because I know you have great creative ideas that, but not yet reaching your full potential. With a bit of effort you could produce really good work. Having a narrative can give so much more to a video bringing more interest to the viewer and this is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by jcp View Post
    Hi friends, I'm finally out of my studio, at least, partially. This is an animation made with Maya, I'm not an animator, although I modeled, animated, iluminated, and rendered all this stuff (very painful, haha). Hope you like it. Regards.
    Very nice! I did enjoy it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah & Allison View Post
    Well done jcp,
    That was a brave attempt to add a new dimension to your music videos and quite a departure from what you normally do.
    Personally we'd have liked a male figure! Males actually look better with bald heads!
    We think you're a bit too concerned with the authenticity of the musical performance in your videos.
    You are allowed a huge amount of artistic licence in a music video & although you obviously love playing guitar, lets face it virtuoso guitar is not the most interesting of visual spectacles.
    We'd like to see you concoct a storyline around one of your pieces & actually let film of that dominate over the accurate filming of your guitar playing.
    You are really progressing with your video making, this one & the last one have been big steps forward.
    Have you thought of getting a green screen? That way you can go to exotic destinations in your videos without leaving your studio!

Sarah & Allison
    Thank you so much, Sarah & Allison, it really means too much to me. Yes, I'm getting tired about filming my self (particularly when I see how sands of time has done its work on me, hahahah), the idea of creating a storyline makes me shiver (cause I don't know), but for the next step I have to study all that concepts. I really appretiate your criticism, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by moldytoaster View Post
    what program did you use? The water looked great
    I made the animation with Maya. Thanks for watching.

Wow that was some thing really different for the music video genre which in my opinion is drowned with single shot videos and cheap cut transitions. that was amazing the movements could be a bit smoother but as you said your not an animator. That was an excellent start.

Plus did you do research into to Egypt or into its culture because the animation leads to it coupled with the music its allows the view to stay interested yet not distracted by the animation

***** Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I agree with Sarah & Allison that your videoing skills has greatly improved since your first postings. I got into the music and visuals and thought they worked well together. I took it that it was about drinking alcohol, getting drunk etc. A some what darker feel to your usual.

Because you have so much talent, I always feel I have to push you to leave your comfort zone because I know you have great creative ideas that, but not yet reaching your full potential. With a bit of effort you could produce really good work. Having a narrative can give so much more to a video bringing more interest to the viewer and this is a good start.
    Thank you Midnight Blue, I appretiate it.

Wow - for someone who "isn't an animator" to have done this is remarkable. It must have been a real labour of love and it shows. I think that my major criticism is that whilst it's great being in the animated environment looking onto the live action footage, the fact that all of the video footage is clearly delineated by the edges of the screens lessens the effect. I agree that the next step should certainly be getting a Green Screen.

Also, don't let narrative frighten you. If you have strong visual ideas (which you do) applying them to even a simple narrative will make it effective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast