Thread: The Gaffer has changed...

Blog Entries

Default The Gaffer has changed...

Well the name has anyway.

There was a bit of confusion coming up and so a name change was in order. Originally the idea of "The Gaffer" was in reference to the job title on a film set, namely the person in charge of the lights. However, it may have been mistaken for the slang for boss and I don't want to give the impression that I'm in any way the boss of this website. That's Marc Peters' distinction.

So, what to change my forum name to?

Last week there was a delay caused by a need to re-light, during which the talent asked what the problem was. The director replied "We're waiting for Rembrandt here to finish his sodding masterpiece" which, since I'm very much a fan of chiaroscuro lighting, also known as "Rembrandt lighting" fitted rather well. Although my reply of "actually I'm more influenced by Caravaggio" went down like a fart in a spacesuit with lots of cries of "just get on with it!".

Philistines

So "Rembrandt Rob" it is. An illusion to a style, rather than a claim to artistic genius.

Sounds like a good name choice Rob.

nice

On the brief occasions I've got to be gaffer I like to solidify my role by walking around with a roll of gaffer tape on my head. I have good head balance.

4. Default

I've got to be gaffer I like to solidify my role by walking around with a roll of gaffer tape on my head. I have good head balance.
    Real advice to gaffers out there.

5. Default

We'll try to call you Rembrandt Rob, but you'll always be the Gaffer to us.

Salvador & Dali

Blog Entries

Aw shucks.

Thanks y'awl. I have never been a proper "gaffer" on a film set but have worked with many (most of which were somehow related).

Fuzzy, if you want to be a proper "Gaffer" you need a copy on "The Sun", an unlit self-made roll-up behind your ear and the ability to say to the cameraman "Oh-kay, you want to do it THAT way...? It might work." in such a way as to suggest that he has completely lost his mind.

Or, even better, as I learned from my long-term gaffer (recently retired, bless him) is to wait until all the lights have been set, give a long sigh and then softly comment "Don't worry son, they should be able to rescue it in post".

It's not a job... it's a calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Rembrandt Rob View Post
    So "Rembrandt Rob" it is. An illusion to a style, rather than a claim to artistic genius.
    Could be worse; you could have picked Picasso.